Patriotic Decorative String Balls

$5

Learn how to make decorative string balls. They are perfect for any patriotic holidays, such as Memorial Day or the Fourth of July. You can customize them for any occasion, including birthdays and weddings! Just pick different colors. |patriotic | patriotic crafts | fourth of july | Fourth of July crafts | 4th of july

Here is a link to my original blogpost, which has more pictures, a materials list and a video tutorial: https://craftklatchwithmona.blogspot.com/2012/05/patriotic-decorative-string-balls.html

Gather your materials, which include string or embroidery floss, balloons and liquid starch.

Here is a finer string.

Here is the embroidery floss. Either will work well.

You want to unwind the string, as you put it into the starch. If you just put it in in a clump, it will get all knotted up.

Once the string has soaked a little, you can start winding it around the balloon. 

Once you have them full, you can put them on a glass, or hang them from the balloon to dry.

Once they are dry, you can pop the balloons.

Then, you can gently pull out the balloon.

I hope you like it as much as I do!

Here is a link to my original blogpost, which has more pictures, a materials list and a video tutorial: https://craftklatchwithmona.blogspot.com/2012/05/patriotic-decorative-string-balls.html

Quick Easter Egg Ideas That Are Just Too Cute
Save Your Old Cans For These 31 Home Decor Ideas
15 Perfectly Round Tables
Easy DIY Ideas To Add Some FUN To Your Office Space
30 Adorable DIY Ideas For July 4th
31 Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
3 Great Projects To Flip Your Cookie Sheet Pans
Spruce Up Your Plain Lamp With One Of These Great Ideas
Use Your Old Corks For These 25 Clever Ideas
Mona  ~ Craft Klatch

• Lottie Crafts

Could I use modge podge or craft glue instead of starch?

• Diane

Could you just put the string all over it and then just slightly dip it in the sta-flo, wouldn’t that be easier???

• Barb

no, string won't stick to balloon while dry

• Terri

Any chance you could inflate the balloon larger and add small lights for a Christmas outdoor decoration perhaps to hang on a tree?

• Teri

Will definitely try this, love it!

• Margie Mae Likens Oakley

Thank you for this idea. I am going to try it for sure. I am going to try it on different shapes of balloons also.

• Sarge

If you blow up a balloon a lil larger than what is shown it will appear egg shaped - which is what I did for an Easter project last year. The technique is exactly the same except I used a product specifically for stiffening fabrics.