Linda
Linda
  • Tallahassee, FL

Adding a Raised Stencil Design to Your Bookcase

$15

Recently I share how to make homemade textured medium but today I want to share how to stencil with the textured medium to get a raised stencil design on a bookcase. You will not believe how easy this project is.

adding a raised stencil design to your bookcase

Can you image from looking at this photo that it will transform a bookcase into something amazing?

Well, let me take you through the steps and then show you the finished project at the end. But first let's collect some supplies.

• Foam board
  • Measuring tape
  • Metal ruler
  • Xacto knife
  • Homemade textured medium (using Fusion mineral paint)
  • Vinyl squeegee
  • Double sided tape (optional)

Start by measuring the back of your shelves. I am planning to only do my top shelf. Measure the width and height then times that by however many shelves you want to stencil the background.

Keep in mind that not all shelf backs are the same so measure them all to be safe.

Next take some foam board and cut it to the size for the background of the bookcase. Use a metal ruler and xacto knife by cutting down beside the ruler to get a nice straight edge.

Follow by testing the foam board in your bookcase to see if it fits into the space.

My foam board would not fit so I had to cut it down the middle. However, if I had to do it again I would leave the center and make cuts on the sides. That way there would not be a seam right down the center.

Now it is time to mix up the homemade texture medium. You will find that post on this post.

Now that you have your textured medium prepared begin by placing your stencil on the foam board.

Next start rubbing the textured medium over the stencil making sure to fill in all the openings.

Make sure to keep the stencil nice and flat. You want it to hug the foam board or the textured medium will get under the stencil and mess up your design.

It also helps that the textured medium is nice and thick. The textured medium will less likely run under the stencil if it is thick.

Follow the last step by lifting the stencil carefully from one side. As you life the stencil make sure to not let it come back down and touch or it might mess up the design.

Pull the stencil off completely and you have one side of your background done. If you are lucky enough to be able to place a full board on the back then let this stencil dry and place the stencil back down to connect the design and repeat the steps of applying the texture medium.

After the boards have dried place them on the back of the bookcase. If they do not fit snug you can use a double sided tape to hold them into place.

Next add some accessories and like magic you have a lovely wallpaper look on the back of your bookcase.

Here is a close up of the raised stencil design. It has a great textured finish which gives it more character.

I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial on creating a raised stencil wallpaper look to the back of your bookcase.

What design and color would you put on the back of your bookcase?

For more home decor and DIY ideas check out my website at the link below.

Linda

• River

Wow, this looks amazing! What a difference some artwork, (yes, that is artwork!) will do to jazz up a bookcase, totally amazing! Great job, thanks so much for sharing!

• Dee

I love the new look! It's amazing what u can do with a stencil! Great job