How To Make Realistic Looking Boston Ferns

$16

With a porch that is west facing, ferns don't stand a chance. They will be fried by the sun. So instead I came up with a way to have the look I wanted without having to consider the elements. And you can not tell the difference either!

how to make realistic looking boston ferns

The hanging pot with the cord came from the dollar store.

I had the glue gun, glue sticks, and rope on hand.

I purchased all other things from the adult creative playground,  Hobby Lobby.

Remove the string from the pots and used a drop cloth in the back yard and spray painted the outside of the pots.

I let them dry for a couple of hours. Flipped them over. And spray painted the insides. Let that dry for the same amount of time.

While those were drying, I started arranging the fern stems for the fake fern plants into the foam squares.

I did this by placing the longer stems dead center right next to each other. Then I placed each of the four shorter stems on each side of the longer ones.

From there, I went through and adjusted and blended the “leaves” to form the plants.

Once they both faux ferns were formed, I glued the foam squares in the center of each pot.

I took the rope I had on deck and cut it into six even pieces, three for each pot.

Then, I tied one end of each rope into the three loops on the pots.

I held the rope pieces up to even them out and tied the string that came from the pot around them. I left about a three-inch end on one side and the remaining length on the rest.

Using the short string, I went under and around the rope ends until there was only a small Piece. I then held it in place and created a loop with the longer string.

From there I begin wrapping the string around the combined rope, remaining string and bottom of the loop.

I wrapped it until it was covered all the way to the top of the rope tightly.

Once fully covered, I double tied the string to a piece of the bottom of the loop.

All done!

TaKenya Hampton

• Pam-ella

Beautiful! I have the same problem with ferns but I love them. I'm definitely going to try this, thank you!

• Happy Days Hometalker

This is perfect, I will be making these soon. I too have supplemented my garden with fake plants in the past as I have a brown thumb. This project is wonderful !

• Darlene Merritt

Lol...I do the same thing using artificial plants in my flowerbed. My neighbors ask me how I keep my flowers so pretty, especially during drought. 😊😊