Ariel
Ariel
  • Canada

Marquee Lights Sign DIY

$15

This past weekend we made ourselves a massive harvest table and benches, as well as a marquee lights sign.

I’ve been thinking about this project in some form or another for a while now. This winter the local spouses crafting group made signs using recycled pallet wood, and I somehow ended up with two!

We had a set of balloon lights kicking around and I decided to combine the lights and the sign idea and make something that could come into the backyard with us

marquee lights sign diy

Given the size of the balloon bulbs, the sign, and letter count in most sign friendly words, I went for something short and sweet but that would still be useful for us: Bar.

Materials

• Wood pallet boards fashioned into the size of your sign
  • Balloon light strand (avg. 25 lights)
  • Drill
  • 1 – 1 1/4 inch Drill Bit
  • Paint & paint brush
  • Pencil or stencil
  • Sand Paper

marquee lights sign diy

Step 2: I drilled to ensure I could fit the socket and the bulb in the hole, but also so that the bulb would sit snugly on the board once screwed in. The board was too thick for me to be able to thread the bulb without having the sucker come up to the surface. In this case I needed to use the 1 inch drill bit and got to drilling.

marquee lights sign diy

Step 3: Once the holes were drilled and the braces were attached, I threaded all the lights into place to make sure everything fit before I started painting. Once I was sure it all looked good and I wasn’t going to run out of cord, I took the lights out of the board and got to painting!

marquee lights sign diy

Step 4: I chose a colour that was similar to the one we have in the kitchen (because I love that colour) but that would still fit the theme and vibe I’m aiming for in the backyard. Because we’re trying to keep things fairly country fresh, I wasn’t too worried about clean lines and exact brush strokes, so the look and feel came out perfectly.

Step 5: Once it was dry I strung the lights back into the board and lit it up!

Ariel