Dresser Redo With Fun, Colorful Drawer Liner

$100

- Ever find an old beat up dresser and see the potential it has? Grab that old thing and make it new again! -

Materials needed.

Link to sanders -

https://www.amazon.com/BLACK-DECKER-BDERO100-Random-Sander/dp/B00MLSS1SW/ref=sr_1_59?pf_rd_i=328182011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=aebdcf2a-c487-557d-8d80-d62a0ddc594d&pf_rd_r=P9Y6J57AW03QNCJYNWM5&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-10&pf_rd_t=101&qid=1557660956&refinements=p_72%3A1248909011&s=power-hand-tools&sr=1-59

https://www.amazon.com/TACKLIFE-Multifunction-Sandpapers-Efficient-Collection/dp/B07X148FRH/ref=sr_1_3_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=electric+sander&qid=1585832868&sr=8-3-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUEyVkQ3U0gzVkI4WTYzJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNzc0NjYzMkVYVEUyU1kzVkRBViZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMzI5ODQ1OTNKS0c3UTg1UjlMJndpZGdldE5hbWU9c3BfYXRmJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

Link to sealer -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PRNXNY/ref=twister_B07JLY244F?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Link to my paint brushes I always use to paint with -

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DT5YJQ2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_vNXWDb3CWGHJW

can you see the potential??

Step one - Prep your furniture

Clean off any grime and dust with a clean rag or cleaning wipe and remove all hardware.

Step Two - Sand

When sanding start off with a medium to fine medium grit sandpaper (100 - 150). You never know exactly what material you’re sanding down to, it’s always better to start off safe with a higher grit than with a coarse grit like 60 and sand down too far.

If painting the furniture piece you don’t have to sand down completely to the wood. You just want to sand down enough so the paint will stick. If sanding down to stain (piece must be wood), you’ll need to completely sand down to the original wood removing all paint or stain previously on the piece.

Once you do your initial sanding with whatever grit you use, you’ll want to finish it with a finer grit such as 220. This is extremely important when staining.

This piece had the nastiest gunk around the edge

Step Three - Dust

Once done sanding all the dust needs to be removed. I use a little handheld duster and a rag, but you can also use an air hose, damp cloth or “oil free” tack cloth.

Progress!!

Step Four - Paint and/or Stain

Use your color of choice and paint away. Most pieces usually take 3 coats, 2 if you’re lucky. Make sure you’re painting with an even coat throughout the whole piece. Allow drying time between each coat (this is why it can take a couple days to complete)

For this piece I stained just a little part, so I did my painting and staining all at once. Very carefully and precisely I used my rag (piece of drop cloth) and stained the part along the top of the dresser. Make sure to wear a glove, stain can be a pain in the butt to get off your hands and finger nails.

• Paint - Toasted Poppyseed by Kilz
  • Stain - Special Walnut by Minwax

Step Five - Seal

Depending on what kind of paint you use you’ll seal with poly or a wax. For this piece I used chalk paint so I used a wax to seal it. There are two kinds of waxes pictured in the materials photo, either work it’s just preference on the finish. For this piece I used the Antique Wax.

To apply wax on chalk paint I use a piece of drop cloth and rub on in small sections. With a clean piece of drop cloth you want to go over removing any excess. I just follow the directions on the container.

To seal the stain I always use Polycrylic Matte finish. I usually do two coats of this and sand with 220 grit in between coats, making sure I remove all dust particles with a cloth.

• Seal - Polycrylic Clear Matte by Minwax
  • Wax - Antique Effect Wax by Valspar

Step Six - Line the Drawers

Measure the drawer and cut the appropriate size of paper of choice. Remove backing and stick down on drawer. Use exact knife to remove excess from sides.

• Drawer Liner by Pioneer Woman from Walmart

Step Seven - Add Hardware

Put your hardware back on. This piece has the original hardware.

Step Eight - Find your finished piece a home!

Now that you have a beautiful new piece of furniture, the fun part starts - finding it’s new home in your house and decorating!

Dollar Store Gem Backsplash
30 Fabulous Wreath Ideas That Will Make Your Neighbors Smile
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
21 Stunning Wreaths for The 4th of July
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
12 Container Garden Ideas to Kick Off Spring
25 Creative Ways You Can Decorate Using Maps
Live Life In Color With These Amazing Ideas For Your Home
Do Your Kitchen Cabinets Need an Update?
16 Fun Ways You Can Use Food To Decorate Your Home
24 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
20 Ways To Improve Your Drop Cloth

To see more: https://www.instagram.com/sommer.stains/?hl=en

• Stacey

I have this bedroom set and the tops of the pieces seem to be a very shiny smooth finish of some sort - not just a natural wood. I have been afraid to sand it for fear that it will ruin the piece. Did you encounter any difficulty with the top surface of this particular piece?

• Stacey

It does help! I have had this set of furniture since I was very young (probably almost 45 years ago) and a plastic type finish on top would make sense. It is still as smooth as when it was new. My older daughter used it for years without complaint, but my younger daughter (who is now 15) wants a more up to date look. Thank you for sharing and giving me the courage to repurpose these pieces that are near and dear to my heart! :)