Ombre Painted Pots

$10

Do you have old planters lying around? Have you seen some at the thrift store lately? If the answer is yes, then you're definitely going to want to take a look at how to painted this ombre pattern on our old pots! Find tons of great DIY Home Decor and Renovation ideas on our blog, Love Create Celebrate!

These are the ceramic pots I started with… I was not impressed with the colours. I think most people would walk right past them. But I liked the shape of them, especially the thick rim at the top, and I loved the texture! Look at that interesting pattern – so much fun to paint!

Enter spray paint! Blue is a beautiful colour for spring! Last year, I decked out my entire patio in beautiful shades of blue, white and grey. I’m so drawn to deep colours like the beautiful navy blue. I also thought it would be a beautiful colour to paint an ombre pattern with – where the colour starts deep and gradually gets lighter.

To see the exact colours we chose, visit the makeover on our blog page!

Start by painting your pots with the white primer. Paint the entire ceramic planter – or at least any part that might be exposed after it’s full of dirt and plants!

Once the white is dry you can paint your blue ombre. To get the ombre effect, you want to flip your pot over (so the top is down), and spray your navy blue paint aimed at the bottom of your pot. This way the paint will be heaviest and thickest at the bottom (which is actually the top of the pot).

The trick to getting a great ombre effect is just to slowly angle your can up, while you step further away from the pot. Increasing the distance between you and the pot will mean a thinner layer of spray paint as you move upwards.

When the blue was dry, we flipped our pot over to spray paint the top rim, and the first couple inches of the inside. The top rim can go on dark because it’s the start of the ombre pattern. We cut a piece of cardboard to protect the pots underneath the rim because we didn’t want any overspray to get on the white paint. When they are dry, spray paint them with the  clear finish spray to protect them from the elements.

LOVE my new and improved ceramic plant pots! The pattern adds so much visually to the ombre design. Some of the inlayed sections stayed white, accenting the colours and the pattern.

25 Beautiful Things You Can Make With Rope & Twine
31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
Upcycle Your Old Clothing Items For These Great Ideas!
23 Adorable Ways You Can Make Your Own Coasters
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
30 Neat Ideas To Upgrade Your Backyard
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
Love Create Celebrate

• Angie

Can you do this on plastic pots?

• Susie McDonald

As above but I scratch the surface very slightly with rough sand paper. I find it needs less coats.

• Liz

Please tell us about your kitchen counter tops. Did you refinish them? Love the color.

• Love Create Celebrate

We painted them with countertop paint! There is a whole post about our painted countertops on our blog at Love Create Celebrate! Just search "painted countertops" :)

• Bea32293828

how do i PAINT MY LAMINATE BATHROOM COUNTER?