Bread Box Makeover

$20

Give an old bread box an updated look with this chic modern makeover idea! These old bread boxes are everywhere! Find an amazing new way to transform them! Find more great DIY Home Decor and Renovation ideas on our blog, Love Create Celebrate!

bread box makeover

I don’t even know where we originally got this bread box, but it now looks like something you could pick up in a thrift store. It wasn’t hard to convince myself that it needed some love.

bread box makeover

Start by setting up your  spray shelter. We just popped ours up in the garage to avoid getting paint on any of our tools. I opted for a  paint sprayer for this project instead of paint brushes because the piece has so many edges and crannies – I didn’t want to spend a ton of time digging in and painting and getting paint all over my arms, lol.

bread box makeover

Next, fill your  paint sprayer‘s pot with the paint of your choice.

Before you start using your  paint sprayer, use an old piece of cardboard to experiment with. You can adjust the the volume of paint you release, and the spray patterns (horizontal, vertical, and circular). We used the vertical setting. Once your ready spray your piece.

When the exterior is dry, open up your paint sprayer and paint the inside of your piece as well. Each time you stop make sure to follow the directions and clean your sprayer well.

bread box makeover

When I was planning out this project, I honestly thought the easiest thing to do would be to cut vinyl using my Cricut and and stick it on to make my pattern! The best vinyl for the job is the outdoor vinyl. It sticks great and is wipeable (which is perfect for the kitchen).

If you want to use your Cricut, you can access my Cricut Design File HERE!!

Once you have your vinyl strips cut out, measure all sides of your bread box and put a pencil tick at one inch increments.

bread box makeover

Add your cut vinyl pieces across the face and top of your bread box.

Cut the edges of your strips of vinyl so that they don’t hang off.

bread box makeover

Once all of your horizontal strips are done, you can add the vertical ones.

I just used a pencil to help me tap the vinyl into any of the divots or cracks. Finish the front and the top, and you’ve got a brand new modern bread box!

I didn’t think I was talented enough to use a sharpie or paint, but if you have a steady hand, that’s another great affordable option for adding the modern design!

bread box makeover

I’m so in love with this criss cross pattern on our new modern bread box! I want to add it to everything.

Love Create Celebrate

• Tricia

Another, and perhaps more durable way to accomplish this look would be to paint entire project with black paint, then using car detail tape, lay down the grid. Apply a couple coats of white, remove the detailing strips and there you go. No worries about vinyl popping up when you clean it. Nice project.

• Divab

The right kind of vinyl won't pop up

• Lucy Marie Bernier

Nice work.... 👍👍👍✔️