Lilia Taylor
Lilia Taylor
  • Fort Walton Beach, FL
Asked on Jun 19, 2019

How do I get rid of squirrels in my garden?

Holly Lengner - Lost MomDesertRoseBetsy
+1

Do I get ride of squirrels! They are a pain and are destroying my garden and the neighbors housethank you

• Hi Lilia, do either of you have a dog? That's usually a good deterrent. As far as the garden, we use wildlife netting over plants, as well as these blueberry cages. The cages go over anything, not just blueberries. Good luck! https://thekitchengarten.com/diy-blueberry-bush-covers/

Hello Lilia: Basically, you can't get rid of squirrels. Feed them somewhere else, and remember, everything needs to eat, so if you can, learn to enjoy the little buggers. I will say that they climb up my peach trees and throw peaches at me, but that's only when I forget to put something out for them:) If they are chewing on your plants, spray with a mixture of 3/4 water and 1/4 oil of clove (you can get it in the candy making section of the store, it's a bottle about 2 1/2 inches high and only costs a couple of bucks). Put this in a spray bottle and spray whatever you don't want chewed or clawed. Works for cats and dogs, too. Won't harm them, smells great, tastes terrible:( Good luck

• DesertRose

Lilia, how frustrating to have them eat all your hard work. Ok, squirrels go for easy food. You can provide them with a feeder on the edge of your property and fill it with sunflower seeds or other snacks. This will help keep them out of your gardens. Then you can fence your gardens. My uncle puts up fencing around everything to keep the animals out of his gardens both flower and veggies. You need to do both to truly keep them out. They can be persistent so providing them with a delicious alternative will help them be less persistent.

• Holly Lengner - Lost Mom

They sell squirrel repellant at hardware stores, but I also read that they don't like anything spicy. I don't know if this works, but some people spread chili powder or cayenne pepper around their garden. Squirrels also don't like the smell of peppermint, so planting peppermint seems to help some people or put peppermint essential oil on cotton balls and spread around the garden.