4th of July Flag and Sparkler Holder

$10

Here's a Fast DIY just in time for the upcoming 4th of July holiday. These concrete holders can be used individually or stacked for use indoors or out. Use them as a table centerpiece, down your sidewalk, or for your lit sparklers. You can even use them as weights to hold tablecloths in place.

You can see the video tutorial at the beginning of our Workshop Wednesday show. Skip to time code :58. Also, head to the end to see the sparklers all lit up. Caution: those sparkers really should only be used outside.

4th of july flag and sparkler holder

This project uses RapidSet CementAll, plastic star shaped bowls, and paint. Use outdoor paint if you're going to use this outside. You can follow the RapidSet label instructions or just keep adding water until you get the concrete to the consistency you need. I try to mix until about the consistency of brownie batter. Note: wear gloves, eye protection, and a nose mask to protect yourself against the concrete dust.

4th of july flag and sparkler holder

Once mixed, pour it into the molds. The amount I mixed up filled two molds. Tap the mold to bring air bubbles to the surface. Work fast as RapidSet sets up very quickly.

4th of july flag and sparkler holder

Since these will hold flags or sparklers, a hole is needed in the center. If you have a drill with a concrete drill bit, these can be made after curing. If not, you can add a straw to create the needed hole. Wait five minutes to add the straw as the concrete should be firm enough to hold it in straight.

4th of july flag and sparkler holder

The holders will be hard in about an hour. Remove them from the mold and allow to sit upside down until the bottoms are dry.

4th of july flag and sparkler holder

I'm using DecoArt paint in red, white, and blue. Paint the entire holder, side and top and bottom and allow to dry. You may need more than one coat.

4th of july flag and sparkler holder

After painting the entire holder, I added a stripe between each of the "star" points. Next, I added star stickers in a random pattern and then painted over the stars and previous stripe.

4th of july flag and sparkler holder

Remove the stars to reveal the pattern.

4th of july flag and sparkler holder

Drill the center hole. Although this is shown after painting, don't do that, drill the hole before painting as the concrete dust creates a mess! I had to do a lot of touching up. The tape on the drill bit marks how deep the hole needs to be drilled.

4th of july flag and sparkler holder

The little flag fits well into the hole.

4th of july flag and sparkler holder

Here the holders are shown used individually.

4th of july flag and sparkler holder

Here's a combination stacked/individual version.

4th of july flag and sparkler holder

On the tray is a stacked version that I'm using on my dining room table as a centerpiece.

4th of july flag and sparkler holder

Let the celebration begin!

For more detail please visit our website and join our email list here.

Mother Daughter Projects

• Jan Mynatt Casady

These could help hold down a picnic table covering, too. I've never tried using the cement, but these are so cute and inspire me.

• Sonia R

Fun & patriotic decor😄I’ve used cement to make stepping stones, would that kind work as well?