Asked on Jun 20, 2019

How do I keep garter snakes from coming in through my Bilco door?

Darlene WillimanBetsySharon Henson
+1

Where the doors meet when closed you can see daylight and little snakes come in through there. I have a door at the bottom and so far they haven’t gotten into the finished basement.

• Gk

Can you put some foam weather stripping on the area where you can see daylight? You can buy it in different widths and it is adhesive on one side. It might be enough to deter the snakes from coming in.

I looked up Bilco doors but it's hard to tell what you might be able to do without seeing it in person! I hope you can find a solution!

• Sharon Henson

I hear that snakes won't crawl across salt. Haven't tried it, but it might be worth a try.

Hi Sophie's Mom: You can get a weather seal in plastic or magnetic, if it's a steel door. Also, you can purchase some snake deterrent. Here's a site for that: https://www.homedepot.com/s/snake%2520away?NCNI-5 Good luck

• Darlene Williman

You might need to have your doors aligned too so that you don't have the gap.