Mary
Mary
Asked on Jun 20, 2019

How to pack your freezer?

BetsyNancy TurnerMogie
+4

• Mary

Best way to packa freezer.

• Cher @ Designs By Studio C

Hi, Mary!

In my opinion the best way to pack a freezer is with larger items in the middle and smaller items around it as the fit for maximum efficiency. The more full a freezer is, the harder it has to work, thus saving money on the electric bill! I hope this helps!

• Mogie

I use plastic tubs to put like items in. For example, all the hamburger goes in one, chicken in another, cheese in one, etc. Makes it easier to pack things and finding them too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSS1lnbSADk

• Nancy Turner

I start with larger items and put smaller ones to fit between and fill it in. Unlike a fridge, the more you fill the freezer the less hard they work, the same goes with stand alone freezers. I try to put like things together in my big freezer, pork, beef, etc., small packages are all labeled well and put in grocery bags according to what they are, that way if I want chicken breast, chicken quarters or legs, they are in bags, same with pork chops, pork loins, all the things that will get lost in the freezer due to bigger packages. I use a Food Saver system for all my meat and this allows me to purchase in bulk and use over time without freezer burn from the store or butcher wrap and you can easily see what you are grabbing. If you can't fill your freezer, take milk jugs and fill them with water and put them in the bottom or on shelves you can't fill. You can always use them in coolers for camping or a picnic to keep items cold.

Hi Mary: Be sure to leave a gap on the top, sides, back and front of the freezer walls so that the cold air can circulate. You don't want to pack it too full or too tight, as the air has to be able to circulate between the packages to reach the food to freeze it and keep it frozen. The top gap should be at least 2 inches, and at least an inch on the front, back and sides. Put like foods together, veggies, meats, ice cream, breads, etc. And, also put the new stuff in the back and the old stuff in front to rotate it so you don't have old stuff getting freezer burn and becoming unusable. I like to double wrap my items to keep it from getting freezer burn. If you can write the dates on the food, then you will know which is oldest and needs to be use next. Good luck

You are welcome Mary. Good luck with your freezer:)