Pamela Hallissey
Pamela Hallissey
  • Naperville, IL

DIY Stuffed Animal Zoo

$45

Having three girls, we have A LOT of stuffed animals. The Beanie Boo craze didn’t help. Don’t even get me started with the Squishmallows! First we stored them in a basket in each of their rooms, then we graduated to hamper sized containers. Fast forward a few years and all their beds are full of fuzzy creatures and the containers are now overflowing.

post

For more fun DIY ideas, check out my blog HERE.

I needed a solution. That’s when I came across the DIY stuffed animal zoo concept on Pinterest. There are a lot of different versions out there but I wanted something midsized. I came up with a DIY stuffed animal zoo that measures 24″W x 25.5″D x 36″H.

post

Here is what you'll need:

• Four 3-ft long 1 x 2’s
  • Eight 2-ft long 1 x 4’s 
  • 1-1/2″ wood screws 
  • screw eyes
  • drill
  • 36′ of 1/4″ diameter shock cord (Amazon–came in 50 ft & a lot of colors) 
  • paint/brush
  • Stickers (or Cricut/Silhouette) for ZOO letters
  • ***I also used a countersink drill bit so my screw heads were deeper (but definitely not necessary) and wood filler.
post

I started building the stuffed animal zoo by creating the base first. I took four of the 1 x 4’s and formed a square. I then drilled pilot holes in two of them, 1/2″ in from the edge. I repeated the same thing with the other four 1 x 4’s for the top of the stuffed animal zoo.

post

Next, I screwed a 1 x 2 piece into each corner of the square base using two screws.

post

Then I set the whole thing on it’s side to attach the top square and stood it back up.

post

Before painting it, I filled in the screw holes with wood filler to hide the screws. I propped it up on boards to paint. I used three coats of Behr’s Roasted Corn paint and let it completely dry.

post

Once dry, I drilled holes for the screw eyes. They measured 5.5″ apart.

post

I then cut 12 pieces of shock cord about 3.5 ft long each and started at the top, tying it through the screw eyes.

post

I did the same thing at the bottom, making sure it was pulled taut. Then I cut the ends. To give it some personality, I downloaded an animal print font from Etsy and printed it on printable vinyl. I used my Cricut to cut them out, but you could do it by hand or use any type of font stickers from your local craft store.

post

I think the zebra stripes are perfect!

post

This turned out so much better than I imagined.

diy stuffed animal zoo

My daughter absolutely loves it and the best part is that her room looks so much cleaner! For more fun DIY ideas, check out my blog HERE.

Pamela Hallissey

• Yvonne

? Where did you use the 9th peace of 1 x 4 ?

• Pamela Hallissey

Shoot, I forgot to change that, thanks for catching it! I was going to put a piece on top of the front of the cage and spell out "Keira's Zoo" there but decided not to. I will edit it.

• Susan

Would the shock cord be called something else on Amazon? I could find only cut lengths, not a 50' piece. Love the project!

• Pamela Hallissey

Thank you, I always try to show step by step in my blog posts. Thank you for noticing!

• Happy Days Hometalker

It is a great project, my boys are grown now, back in the day they had a lot of stuffed animals, this would have been perfect !