Kimmpossible
Kimmpossible
  • Bedford, OH
Asked on Jun 21, 2019

How do I paint these old cupboards once I strip all the old paint off?

KimmpossibleWilliamJUDY MCKAY
+4

once I have all the old paint scraped from cupboards should I use some kind of primer on the wood before painting? If so, what kind?

also, what paint finish do I want to get (satin, eggshell) for kitchen cabinets & walls? House built in 1941 so there’s lots of imperfections to hide ... help!

q how do i paint these old cupboards once i strip all the old paint off

You really don't need to remove all the old paint unless it's rough.

https://www.hometalk.com/search/posts?filter=paint%20cabinets

• Kimmpossible

it's been painted over so many times over the years without being properly prepped, it's cracking and flaking everywhere. I don't want to have the same problem again six months down the road... Thank you for the link, lots of good info!

• JUDY MCKAY

Check our a site called twobrokehousewives.com and they show you how to do a beautiful cabinet painting. I am doing mine this summer

Yeah, a lot of people just paint over layers of paint without the proper prep. Makes more work for someone who wants to do it right. Your on the right track. Can you post your project on Hometalk. Would love to see it. And you may inspire others to do the job right.

• Kimmpossible

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I plan on taking pics throughout the process, which, as you can see, may take a while