Lina Choi
Lina Choi
  • Bridgeport, CT
Asked on Jun 21, 2019

Can anyone tell me what this plant is?

LandPatFlipturn
+6

I found this plant near my deck and is about to reach our top deck where my children play but I have no idea what it is and whether it is poisonous or harmful to touch. Can anyone identify this plant?

q can anyone tell me what this plant is
q can anyone tell me what this plant is
q can anyone tell me what this plant is
  • Em

nice close up of the leaf, but show the whole plant so we can see it better.

• Lynn Sorrell

Looks like but not for sure....... either Cows Parsnip(edible) or Giant Hogweed(dangerous causes severe burns to skin after touching). Both plants get huge/tall with white lacey type multi flowering heads on them. Put on gloves and long sleeves and cut off tops put in trash bags then dig out/ remove roots so it doesn't regrow Do NOT Burn! since you have kids & well yourself in close contact it's best to remove it before it gets flowers then they turn into seed heads and it will be growing all over your yard.Better safe than sorry

• Lina Choi

I am checking the pictures of wild lettuce and they look different from mine. Mine is getting taller and the stem is thick. So I am doing more research.

• Pamrwilson

IT'S A WEED!!!!

• Flipturn

A quick Reverse Google Image search gave me the answer that the plant is a Crassocephalum, common names Ragleaf, Thickhead, and Bologi.

Based on how agressively it seems to be growing, and how unrelated it is to anything else that has been planted, I agree with Pamrwilson that it is a weed. Pull the whole stalk out, including the roots.

• Pat

I pulled a tall one of these out of my flower bed this morning...It is a weed and grows rapidly.

• Land

It's a weed tree!! get it before it gets too big!