Asked on Jun 21, 2019

How do I clean an oven?

BetsySimple Decorating TipsElaine
+1

• Judy

Margaret, to clean my oven the first thing I do is scrape off anything with the plastic scraper as to not scratch it.

Are use a number line green scrubby with some baking soda in a little bit of water which helps make a paste sometimes I add a tiny bit of soap if you need some grease cutting power, and if you need something like the door/window to be cleaned I make this paste and pour a little bit of vinegar and let it sit for about 20 minutes.

Wipe and it shoild be clean!

Be careful not to scrape the inside of your stove because it is most likely enamel.

• Elaine

Margaret, I’d go with Judy, unless your oven has the self clean option. Then I’d remove the racks, remove the thicker stuff and turn it on to self clean

Mom used to put a pan of vinegar water in the oven for an hour or two on the Old have to clean yourself type

• Simple Decorating Tips

First, be sure it's not a self cleaning over... if it is, you cannot use any cleaning solvent in it. Just close it up and hit the self-clean button. It'll take a few hours and get kind of smoky as it's burning off everything. Once it's totally cooled, you wipe it down with damp paper towels.

If it's not a self-cleaning over, get some oven cleaner and follow the directions on the can. Some tell you to heat the oven after you spray it on, some don't. Be sure to wear gloves and have good ventilation... that stuff is kind of strong!

Hi Margaret: What I use is a paste of vinegar and cream of tartar (the dry stuff). Make a paste of vinegar and cream of tartar (use just a bit of vinegar at first as the cream of tartar sort of melts) and put it on the gunk. Maybe start out with 3 tablespoons of cream of tartar and a 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar. Add more of whatever to make a paste. Let it sit for about 15 or 20 seconds and then scrape off with a plastic putty knife or one of those plastic scrubbies. You may have to do it a couple of times if the gunk is thick, but usually not. There is no smell and it is environmentally safe. A lot of people don't know, but on most stoves, the door comes off and the bottom of the oven comes off. You don't have to take the door off to get the oven floor out. Sometimes it's hard to get the door back on:) Good luck.