CD's CountryLiving
CD's CountryLiving
  • Caledonia, MN

DIY Baking Station

$9

Finding extra space in your kitchen for storage is always a good thing! When we tore out this ugly non functioning wall oven that's exactly what we found!

diy baking station

diy baking station

When we removed the oven this was the space we were left with. It measured out to be 24" w x 48" h . Since there were cabinets above and below and we needed to keep as much storage as possible, removing it wasn't an option.

diy baking station

We did have to remove one cabinet during our renovation as that was where our gas range had to go and before we did we pulled out three drawers that were in excellent condition. They were the perfect depth for storing pots and pans. You could definitely buy these at a big box store or even make them yourself but these were free so I saved them.

diy baking station

I had seen baking stations online before and I loved the concept of having all of my baking supplies all in one space. And I liked the idea of clearing some counter space by also storing my stand mixer and canisters here. To create the top cubby to store these items, we simply measured for the correct height needed and cut a piece of pine we had leftover from another project an screwed it into place.

Next came the drawers. Unfortunately, they were about 5" to wide so we had to remove one side of each drawer, cut them down to 23" with our table saw-sand the new edge and glue and nail the side back on. Once that was done we determined the spacing of each drawer and installed the sliders.

diy baking station

The last step for the drawers was to build drawer fronts to finish them out and make them look custom. Again we used some leftover pine-cut it to size and screwed the fronts on from the inside of the drawer out. Each drawer was given a good cleaning, sanding and two coats of Behr Paint and Primer Ultra White-in a Satin Finish. Once they were dry we installed them onto the sliders.

diy baking station

I added some simple drawer pulls that I picked up for $2.99 a piece at Home Depot.

diy baking station

The last step for our baking station was to install a piece of trim above the first and below the third drawer. Again it just gave it a more custom look and finished it off perfectly. The trim was also saved from the cabinet we tore out so there was no cost for any of the materials other than the drawer pulls.

diy baking station

I filled the top drawer with all of my baking supplies.

diy baking station

And the second and third drawer are filled with our pots and pans!

diy baking station

Having a baking station has really helped me to get organized and I love having everything all in one space! You could definitely create one in any cabinet in your kitchen and the as I said you can pick up drawers pretty inexpensively or even make them yourself!

You can see the full tutorial of how we put our baking station together by clicking the link to my blog!

CD's CountryLiving

• Agatha Christie

Where is the fridge now.

• Agatha Christie

I meant where is the oven now?

• Linda

This is what she said.

.We did have to remove one cabinet during our renovation as that was where our gas range had to go and before we did we pulled out three drawers that were in excellent

• Agatha Christie

So where did you place a new oven?

• CD's CountryLiving

well Agatha that was a whole other project LoL!! We had to cut out a cabinet and installed a gas range.

• Sharon

I think it is gorgeous and the work looks lovely. It was a great use of space. As an avid baker, I almost wish I had an ugly wall oven to pull out! Good job!

• Julia Riley Kupas

This is genius work, and soo pretty and useful. Thanks for sharing! I may try this with an old wooden microwave cart.