Natasha|Revamp_interior
Natasha|Revamp_interior
  • United Kingdom

How to Shabby Chic a Welsh Dresser

$30

I love to bring love back to an old sad bit of furniture.

One person's waste is anothers treasure and all that jazz.

So when a friend of mine asked me to help make her home look more like a stylish shabby chic cottage I knew exactly where to start.

Before
Before

She told me she purchased this for next to nothing off of eBay. She saw it and just had to have it.

After years of loving it just the way it was she decided it was time for a facelift.

I started by taking off the top half and using rough sandpaper to really go to town on the table top.

There were some deep stains. I managed to get rid of most but there was still one that was just too deep to sand away.

I then used white spirit on a clean cloth to wipe it down and bring out the grain in the wood.

White that was drying bi lightly sanded the sides.

how to shabby chic a welsh dresser

how to shabby chic a welsh dresser

After a sugar soap wash and allowing to dry. I taped over the hinges and handles, and the inside of the cupboard. And started the paint using my favorite brand Frenchic leaving the table top clear for the wax.

how to shabby chic a welsh dresser

how to shabby chic a welsh dresser

Using wax and a wax brush lightly brush on a small amount of wax in a back and forth monsion. Following the instructions on the tin on when to buff.

Using a spare clean cloth wipe off the excess wax and buff.

Once dry replace the shelves back on top.

how to shabby chic a welsh dresser

how to shabby chic a welsh dresser

Finished
Finished

What a difference!

how to shabby chic a welsh dresser

• Lenda

How do you get rid of chiggers

• Susan

I never encountered chiggers in FL, so can’t respond, but you are definitely entering bug city. The palmetto roaches are the length of your finger, ugh! Lol, it’s the price for living in a tropical spot, hope you’ll be near a beach because they are spectacular!

• Elaine Diehl

I would like to remove stain and finish fro. Table and chairs and recolor to a different color. What do I use and what kind of stain or paint

• Susan

I’ve had that and the only thing I could do was paint when the stain can’t be removed.

• Cathy walker

Could u be so kind to explain sugar soap wash. Tks it’s beautiful

• Carol Norton

Here is a piece I’ve done with paint and a stain wipe.

• Maureen
    31 minutes ago

I painted an old Ethan Allan cabinet that was stained a dark brown, very similar to yours. Mine is in our beach house on LBI in NJ.

I made my own chalk paint with plaster of Paris & some old turquoise paint that I had. Your cabinet came out beautiful!!