If You Make Wreaths You Might Need This!

$130
Advanced

If you are a wreath maker, you just might need one of these! This is one of those projects that I failed to take photos of while I was working on it. Perhaps I wasn’t sure this was even going to turn out! I was lucky to have a couple of old doors left in my garage. Looking at those doors, I knew it would help me if I had a door to make my wreaths and swags on.

if you make wreaths you might need this

A trip to the Home Depot was the first job at hand. They will do simple cuts of lumber for you, which made the lumber a little easier to manage to bring home.  Beginning with 2′ x 6’s. I had them cut into 48″ lengths. Eleven pieces would be needed for my project. Three pieces were cut to 28″ lengths. I then screwed the three pieces to the five longer pieces as shown above. 

if you make wreaths you might need this

While I had the bottom of my project exposed, I screwed heavy duty casters into each corner.  

if you make wreaths you might need this

On the other side I used two 48 ” pieces attached perpendicular to the base I already had. 

if you make wreaths you might need this

I cut a piece of 1/2″ plywood the same size as the door and screwed it to the back side of the door. Then I slid the door down in the opening and screwed the support pieces into the door and plywood.

if you make wreaths you might need this

On the backside of the door, the plywood side, I drilled 40 holes with a 1/2″ drill bit and cut 40 1/2″ dowels. Each dowel was stuck into a hole and secured with a dab of wood glue and I had a perfect place for ribbon storage. 

if you make wreaths you might need this

After I had my door and plywood attached to one another, I secured them between the perpendicular upright pieces of 2′ x 6′.

if you make wreaths you might need this

After I inserted my door/ribbon holder I felt it needed a little more stability. I added a 2′ piece of 2 x 6 as shown at the arrow above.   

if you make wreaths you might need this

Add a Command hook and you have a base to style wreaths on and all of your ribbons are neatly hidden on the backside!  

Celebrate & Decorate (Chloe Crabtree)

• Eva Snell Rubin

Approximately how long did you cut the 40-1/2” dowels? I realize a lot of that would probably depend on the kind and size of ribbons you have. Just wanted an idea of where to start. I will probably be making just the ribbon storage. Wall space to put smaller pieces of plywood but no space for a full door. I have French doors on my craft room and keep one closed all the time and work on the back of that one. Display completed wreaths on the front side by adding extensions to an over the door hanger. Thanks for sharing. Great idea!

• Missy Burch

now i wish i hadn't chucked that old door. but i'd never have room for this! but still- fab idea!

• Mary Boger

Neat idea! Sure beats trying to decorate a wreath while hanging it from a kitchen cupboard, lol. Tfs