How to fix crackling glaze that did not crackle?

+9

I have 3 cabinets I painted a darker green, & let dry overnight. Two of the cabinets are old and the original paint on them was naturally crackled. The third cabinet is new. I applied a good coat of NEW Valspar Weathered Crackling Glaze, (used 3/4 of a pint jar for all 3 pieces) waited a few hours, then added a white matte finish paint.

What I have now is a mess. There’s no crackle, there’s no green showing through the white. I do not want to redo another base coat and repeat the process. How can I save these 3 pieces of furniture without sanding, stripping, or spending days to fix them all? Is there any product I can put on top? I just moved and was hoping to be using these pieces today and unpacking boxes.

The last picture is the look I wanted. That’s a hutch I bought off Craigslist already done.

q how to fix crackling glaze that did not crackle
  • What about sanding it and and distressing it to remove some of the top coat? It wouldn't really give a crackle finish but it might give you the type of look you are going for.

• Donna Ohanian Donna Ohanian on Jun 22, 2019

Distressing is a good idea. But the entire surface needs to be done. What do you think about using Annie Sloan chalk paint in dark green or brown and black wax on top? Would I sand 100%, or go over it all with chalk paint?

• William William on Jun 22, 2019

http://www.freckledlaundry.com/2013/04/weathered-and-crackled-furniture-painting-tutorial.html

https://www.hometalk.com/22159803/how-to-give-your-furniture-a-crackle-finish

• William William on Jun 22, 2019

Sand down and start over.

Yes, but why repeat a method that obviously doesn’t work well consistently? I am trying to avoid spending another 2 weeks just on these 3 pieces of furniture, and trying to avoid a huge mess in the empty bedroom I’m doing this in. I just painted those bedroom walls and ceiling, and need to install carpet tiles once this furniture is done and out of this room for company coming in July.

Thank you for trying to be helpful. The information in those links doesn’t help. I’m not looking to redo the crackling, I’m looking to know what to do to salvage the furniture without spending weeks removing the mess that is now there. That last link is asking the same thing I am, and no one answered the question. I’m not looking to try cracking again. Any process that goes wrong so easily is not one I will repeat. Can I do sponge painting of various dark colors, or chalk painting and rubbing off?The simple question is... What will COVER this mess and look good?

• Dee Dee on Jun 23, 2019

It looks to me as you did not clean the surface well, and that is why the crackling medium did not work. Yes it is a mess. I would lightly sand the piece with a sponge 220 grit. Take maybe 15 minutes to do so not down to the wood. You can make your own chalk paint

• 1 Tablespoon of water with 2-1/2 teaspoons of Calcium Carbonate Powder in a bowl. Mix to a smooth consistency.
    • Add the entire contents of the 2 oz. craft paint bottle color of your choice into the bowl and mix it well into the water and CCP mixture. Stir until smooth.

You cannot save chalk paint, so paint the piece in one day. This will be enough to cover the entire piece.

• Donna Ohanian Donna Ohanian on Jun 24, 2019

Thank you for the suggestions! I washed 2 of the pieces outside with a rag, dish soap and a hose, inside and out. Then I primed 100% of both of them, then added 2 coats of the base paint. The jelly cabinet was new and had been primed, so I did 1 coat of base paint.

Not this week, but next, I will drag them outside, sand off a bunch of the white mess, make up some dark green and brown chalk paints and give it a try.

I will watch a few videos first about chalk painting, and I will post the results. Thanks again!

• Dee Dee on Jun 24, 2019

Hope that works for you. Diane of In my own style blog is the queen of chalk painting. Go give her blog a look I am sure she can help you.

• Donna Ohanian Donna Ohanian on Jul 02, 2019

After watching a couple dozen videos on chalk painting & wax application, here are 2 of the 3 finished. No sanding at all - went over the mess. Made my own green & black chalk paint, like a mint julep color, then used Wal-Mart Beige & Merlot chalk paint for accents. At $1.67 each, it’s a good way to add a pop of color. I used clear wax, and brown wax on the shorter cabinet. Added a medallion to the jelly cabinet to have a focal point. Need to find the darn knobs now! Tomorrow I tackle the big one, the hutch.