Teri Sweeney
Teri Sweeney
  • Montgomery, AL
Asked on Jun 22, 2019

How do I slip a new cabinet under the countertop?

Laura CooperWilliam

I bought a new base cabinet to replace my non-functioning dishwasher. According to the measurements, it's a perfect fit for the space, but, first, it has to get past the lip on the countertop. The difference is less than one inch, and there is enough space UNDER the countertop, but how do I get it there without breaking anything?

I would get a 2X4 about 1/4" longer than the height of the cabinet. Brace it under the lip of the countertop and floor to the the side of the opening. Use a hammer and gently hit the bottom of the 2X4 to raise the countertop and slip the cabinet in place. Good luck.

• Laura Cooper

You will probably need to unscrew your countertop to lift it slightly. Check underneath inside your cabinets. You will probably see a few screws that are keeping the cabinets and the counter together. Remove these, then lift slightly to insert the cabinets. Once finished, replace the screws