Asked on Jun 23, 2019

How do I stop deer from eating all my hosta?

CJGeorgeDesertRose
+1

On your video you said most of them are deer resistant. Not mine. I have just dicks now.

• Debbie

Have you tried spreading shaved pieces of Irish spring bar soap around them? Deer do not like the scent.

• DesertRose

The only thing I know that will keep deer away, besides a good fence and dog, is cayenne pepper sprayed on the plants and ground. I have not tried it, but I also hear shredding bars of Irish soap will keep them away. Spread liberally on the ground around the plants and yard. They do not care for the odor.

• George

Thoroughly mix one egg per gallon of water and spray the plants you want to protect. Deer HATE eggs. Timber/paper companies have been doing this for years to protect seedlings. Naturally you have to respray periodically or after a rain.

• CJ

I have had success keeping deer away from plants by placing lavender stalks in the leaves. They don't like the scent.