How to Make Marbled Coffee Mugs

$10

As the weather gets cooler, a great cup of coffee is my fairly constant companion throughout the day.

Looking through my collection of cute, but non-coordinating mugs, I decided an easy mug craft needed to move to the top of my to-do list, so I tried my hand at the DIY mug trend…with nail polish!

Want to learn to make your own marbled DIY mugs? Let’s get started…

Materials:

• Nail Polish
  • Plain White Mugs (Washed and Dried)
  • Disposable Tub
  • Skewer or Toothpick
  • Parchment Paper

The best tips I can give you for marbling with nail polish is 1) use hot water, and, 2) work quickly. The nail polish is going to want to harden pretty quickly upon hitting the surface of the water, and hot water will delay this process a bit.

Fill your tub (use one that you don’t mind throwing away afterwards) with hot water, and carefully drip your nail polish onto the surface of the water. Pour as close to the surface as you can, as this will keep the nail polish from sinking down into your water.

If desired, use your toothpick or skewer to swirl the polish around so that it covers the surface of the water.

Immediately dip your mug into the water, and let it sit for a second or two to help the polish adhere to the mug. Remove mug, and place upside down on parchment paper to dry.

Switch out water between mugs, and repeat!

Quick note: You will want to be careful not to get any nail polish near the top of the mugs (where your mouth would touch). Also, note that these are not dishwasher-safe–hand-wash only.

Thanks for reading all about my marbled DIY mugs! Have a crafty day!

Linda (burlap+blue)