Hope
Hope
Asked on Jun 24, 2019

How to get rid of mice?

Susan Clements BrownZard PocleebElaine

Hi...Has anyone used the plug-in pest devices..? Are they effective..? Do they actually work..? Is there a brand that works better than the rest or are they all similar..? How do they affect the "non-rodents" living in the barn such as dogs, chickens and goats..?We have a serious mouse problem in our barn that we've been battling for a few years. We've tried mint oil (to the point that the barn smelled like a jar of Vicks...whew!), snap-traps and the horrible glue-traps and, while we have caught A LOT of mice with these methods...there are still so many (sooooo many). I'm sure they come and go as they please through every nook and cranny they can squeeze through so, I am really hoping to find a solution that will repel them from the barn and keep them from coming back.Just so you know, we try to practice sanitary controls with the feed supplies. All of the animal feed is kept in sealed tubs and, nothing is left out for the mice to get. When everyone is finished eating their grain, all the buckets are collected and stored in a sealed tub as well. The only feed-stuff that is left in the animal pens is hay and water.

• Elaine

The most effective we found was a couple of barn cats. Due to the other critters, I wouldn’t use the poison bait. We have never found the electronic plug ins to be effective. A black snake would be your best friend but the chickens would have to be protected

• Hope

Hi Elaine...

Thanks for getting back to me. I had a feeling those plug-ins didn't work very well. (darn)

I picked up a huge bag of poison baits over a year ago (during a moment of weakness while at Tractor Supply) and won't use it because, I'm sure the chickens and dogs would eat it. (sigh)

I've thought about getting a couple of cats but, (for reasons yet unknown to me) they have been strongly veto'd by my husband.

I haven't seen any black snakes but, we have an extremely healthy population of garter snakes.

• Zard Pocleeb

We are surrounded by woods on three sides of our house and we get so many mice that it’s impossible to keep up with them. We tried everything available including several types of traps, poison bait, electric repellent, peppermint oil, and probably more. We caught more than 40 mice during the winter and still were overrun. We finally bit the bullet and called in an exterminator. He got things under control and we have only seen one mouse since December.

• Zard Pocleeb

With a major infestation babies are one of the biggest problems. I found a nest with 6 babies! But... I was very impressed with the exterminator when he walked in the house and said he could smell the mice. He did a complete inspection inside and out, pointing out the problem areas that needed to be fixed. For example, there was a small gap on one side of the crawl space door. There was a gaping hole behind the water heater. Another large opening around the dryer vent. The thing is, he knew where to look, and what to look for. He put in a large number of traps including large, industrial ones that can catch a lot of mice, sticky traps, etc. He was easily able to locate the problem areas by the feces left behind. As far as the exterminator goes, he wasn’t cheap, but we were at a point where we would have paid just about anything. The initial visit was $200, and $80 every other month. Good luck with your mouse problem. Too bad they aren’t all like Mickey.

• Susan Clements Brown

I found those plug in things completely useless. In fact, they bothered my dogs. One of them would not settle down with them plugged in.

I live in town now. My best bet for mice is my two pit-bull mix dogs. They are terriers and if they say there is a mouse you can bet on it. They catch and kill as effectively as cats.

• Hope

Hi Susan...

Thanks for letting me know about the plug-ins. I knew they had to be too good to be true! : )

Our dogs MIGHT kill a mouse if it walked up to them and died willingly. (ha!) Funnily enough, our chickens are pretty handy about killing any baby mice that they can get their beaks on (so gross) but, they can only kill what enters their space and, I haven't seen them kill an adult mouse.

I love all of the terrier breeds and saw a YouTube video of a guy that takes his Rat Terriers to farms and turns them loose on the mice. Now THAT was amazing to watch! I might need to think about getting a couple of those little guys. : )