DIY Entryway Mirror With Hooks

$15

I recently repurposed an old entertainment center in mudroom storage & seating but it left an open wall space that I wanted to fill. I thought a nice framed mirror with hooks would be ideal in the space, so I looked at my leftover material from the original project and found that I had the perfect piece to make an entryway mirror.

The original entertainment center had small doors on the bottom shelves. I removed those doors and decided to use them as the frame for my new entryway mirror.

The doors had a black mesh material that I had to remove. After that, I used a jigsaw to cut out the four wooden details in the center of the frame.

I used wood filler in the holes that were left by the door handle and then used 120 grit sand paper over the entire frame.

I used the same paint that I used on the mudroom storage project. The painting required two coats.

I bought a mirror from a thrift store that was very similar is size to my frame, but it was just a couple inches too wide. I bought a cheap glass cutter to fix this problem. This process works best if you lubricate the glass with oil. I used a small paintbrush to apply a small amount of vegetable oil to the line I was cutting. There is an oil specifically made for cutting glass, but vegetable oil or motor oil will also work.

Next, I held a flat edge in place and, using a small amount of pressure, I pulled the glass cutter along the mirror. It is important to note that this won't actually cut the glass, it scores the glass so that it's easier to make a smooth break along the line you score. I went over my line twice. Then I moved the glass so that the scored line was over the edge of the table and used a little bit of pressure to snap off the excess glass.

To hold the mirror in place, I added three screws over the top and bottom of the mirror. Then I used to thin strips of plywood to cover the mirror and secure it in place.

The last step was adding hooks at the bottom of the mirror. I bought a six pack of 6 black, metal hooks, but I only used five. I measured the placement of the hooks so that they were evenly spaced, drilled pilot holes, and then screwed them all in place.

And now I have an entryway mirror with hooks to match my recently updated mudroom storage & seating!

Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
12 Christmas Home Tours You're SO Going To Fall For
31 Brilliant Ways To Repurpose Everyday Items Into Perfect Organizers
Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
15 Ways to Spice up Your Floors
The Best Industrial Style DIY Ideas For Your Home Using Pipes
15 Perfectly Round Tables
Valentine's Day Is Getting Closer! Get Ready With These Lovely Ideas
Inspirational Ideas for Spring Flowers
4 Chemical-Free Ways To Clean In Your Home
14 DIY Must-Haves For All Camping Trips
25 Fabulous Feather Projects That You Don't Want To Miss

• Joanie

Great idea and great job......I always check myself out before leaving the house......Did I remember my dentures?  hehehhe. Have a fun 4th of July......watch the sharks in the ocean, if you're plannin' a beach getaway. News today....one in Daytona near shoreline. A guy in Panama got bit yesterday very bad on leg.

• Paula P

Be sure to wear gloves when breaking the mirror. I ended up with a big tear on my palm on the thumb side when the glass went wonky on me.