DIY Entryway Mirror With Hooks

$15

I recently repurposed an old entertainment center in mudroom storage & seating but it left an open wall space that I wanted to fill. I thought a nice framed mirror with hooks would be ideal in the space, so I looked at my leftover material from the original project and found that I had the perfect piece to make an entryway mirror.

The original entertainment center had small doors on the bottom shelves. I removed those doors and decided to use them as the frame for my new entryway mirror.

The doors had a black mesh material that I had to remove. After that, I used a jigsaw to cut out the four wooden details in the center of the frame.

I used wood filler in the holes that were left by the door handle and then used 120 grit sand paper over the entire frame.

I used the same paint that I used on the mudroom storage project. The painting required two coats.

I bought a mirror from a thrift store that was very similar is size to my frame, but it was just a couple inches too wide. I bought a cheap glass cutter to fix this problem. This process works best if you lubricate the glass with oil. I used a small paintbrush to apply a small amount of vegetable oil to the line I was cutting. There is an oil specifically made for cutting glass, but vegetable oil or motor oil will also work.

Next, I held a flat edge in place and, using a small amount of pressure, I pulled the glass cutter along the mirror. It is important to note that this won't actually cut the glass, it scores the glass so that it's easier to make a smooth break along the line you score. I went over my line twice. Then I moved the glass so that the scored line was over the edge of the table and used a little bit of pressure to snap off the excess glass.

To hold the mirror in place, I added three screws over the top and bottom of the mirror. Then I used to thin strips of plywood to cover the mirror and secure it in place.

The last step was adding hooks at the bottom of the mirror. I bought a six pack of 6 black, metal hooks, but I only used five. I measured the placement of the hooks so that they were evenly spaced, drilled pilot holes, and then screwed them all in place.

And now I have an entryway mirror with hooks to match my recently updated mudroom storage & seating!

• Joanie

Great idea and great job......I always check myself out before leaving the house......Did I remember my dentures?  hehehhe. Have a fun 4th of July......watch the sharks in the ocean, if you're plannin' a beach getaway. News today....one in Daytona near shoreline. A guy in Panama got bit yesterday very bad on leg.

• Paula P

Be sure to wear gloves when breaking the mirror. I ended up with a big tear on my palm on the thumb side when the glass went wonky on me.