Here's what is left of two $15 Kangaroo Paw plants after being in the ground only two days. The neighborhood rabbits thought they were a salad bar . I dug them up and put them in 12" pots, then put them on a shelf next to my front porch for the time being. I wasn't really happy with two pots just sitting there, so I came up with this:
Terraced Planter for the Porch
After rescuing these plants from the local rabbit population, I had to find a new way to display them.
I had an idea for a terraced planter. I decided to build the planter with 11" openings to fit the bottom of the pots snugly. Here are two pieces of fence cedar from Lowes, and a treated 2x2 deck baluster. It actually took a bit more than 4' of the 2x2, luckily I had some scrap at home.
I decided on two 11" openings. Here I'm marking the long sides for 22". Note that I use a wide Sharpie marker, and try to keep the left edge of the marker to the right of my measurement. This improves accuracy just a bit. When I use my miter saw, the blade will use up this part of the wood.
(Not that we need too much accuracy for this project. The goal here is 'easy' )
Thuis is MOST of the pieces I need. Here you can see at the top my 22" long sides ( I have not cut the short sides yet, I need to measure first)
four scraps to support the plants
six cross pieces (two fronts two backs, and two shelves for the pots). I cut these 10", thinking the sides would add up to 11" or so once assembled.
four tall 2x2s, and two short ones for corner supports. I cut these just a bit shorter than the width of the fence wood, so I wouldn't have to worry about them sticking up later.
Here's one long side, with the 10" lower front about to be stapled to a short 2x2 for corner support. Take your time to line things up, use a clamp or a friend if neccessary. I love my $23 staple gun, but you could do this with outdoor wood screws and a cordless drill, or even nails if you wanted to.
Here's the bottom half, with short supports in the front corners and tall ones in back.
Next I measured halfway and added the other two tall supports to each long side. Once they were attached I put the upper front on, and the upper back.
Next I measured the distance from the upper front to the upper back and cut my upper sides. I could have cut these first and adjusted the middle corner supports, it just seemed easier this way. You can see the basic shape now.
I can see this being adaptable to both larger and smaller sizes. If you have any doubts, lay your design out on a large piece of paper. I have used appliance boxes in the past to draw things full size before I start working. Measure twice, cut once.
I stapled two scraps inside each 'square' about 2" down. These will suppport the actual plant shelves. They will sit across the open squares. I only used one staple to see if I liked how the location looked, should I want to take it apart and raise or lower them. After I was happy with the fit I brought the planter back in the garage and added two more staples to the supports.
Drop the shelf cross pieces in. No need to staple. Gravity will work just fine.
After three weeks off the ground, the Kangaroo Paws are starting to look healthy again. Looks like a Celosia seed or two snuck into one of the pots ; )
Here's the planter sitting on my front deck shelf. Once the plants bloom up a bit I'll probably slide it out front. Still have a ways to go.
Comment if you have a suggestion to improve this for someone else. Happy planting!