Michelle James
Michelle James
  • Emmetsburg, IA

Easy Mason Jar Hanging Solar Lights

$20

I love mason jar projects and I have wanted to make some hanging solar lights for a while. So I got out some jars, spray paint and ordered some fairly lights on Amazon and got to work!

easy mason jar hanging solar lights

I used pint sized mason jars but now I want to make some larger ones. These are great around our catio (the outside space for our indoor cats) but along the fence they were a bit small.

Anyway, I started by cleaning the jars. Then I masked them off for painting. I only wanted the bottom portion painted so the fairy lights would shine nicely. I also painted the screw on part of the lids.

easy mason jar hanging solar lights
easy mason jar hanging solar lights

I used four colors of paint to match the flower buckets that hang on my fence.

easy mason jar hanging solar lights

All I had left to do was add the lights. These (affiliate link) fairy lights came in a box of four from Amazon. The lights, solar lids and the wire hangers are all included and I just love them.

easy mason jar hanging solar lights

Before adding the solar lid turn the switch to the "on" position.

easy mason jar hanging solar lights

Once they are together hang them up and enjoy them. As I mentioned earlier these were perfect around our catio. So that is where I hung them.

easy mason jar hanging solar lights

Aren't they fun and colorful? Here is what they look like when lit up.

easy mason jar hanging solar lights

They are such a great addition to my patio space and I am anxious to make more.

If you like this post you will probably like other posts on my blog. You can join my email/newsletter and get access to my resource library with free printables, designs and cut files.

Michelle James

• Lisa Elford

What a great idea! I'd love to try it but I'm wondering where you got the hangers for the jars?

• Jim Cox

Until your post I had been making the hangers. I had been buying 16 ga copper wire from a local motor supply house.

Thx for saving me the time!

• Rosanne Carpenter

I think this a great project. Just wondering, is there a reason you didn't paint the entire jar? I think it would look pretty shining through the different colors you did.

• Michelle James

I didn't think it would shine through enough. I wanted color but not to drown out the light. You could try it and see if enough light comes through. I think they would be cute completely painted.