Deanna Lamb
Deanna Lamb
  • Sanford, NC
Asked on Jun 25, 2019

What do I do with this?

KateDonnaottoneRobyn Garner
+5

My husband and I moved to the Midwest and decided to purchase some acreage with an older partially underground home. My kitchen and dining room is on the lower floor and there is this huge box like thing(I assume an air duct) that runs the entire length of the house and evens out in the Hall. Many suggestions on what to do with it so it does not look so clunky?The ceiling on the other side is the same height as on this side. Just this huge box running across the room.

q what do i do with this
  • Kelli L. Milligan

Believe it or not but if you have it mirrored it will dissapear.

• Everything Pretty

You could put a vinyl quote on it. Or something fun so at least it's prettier to look at.

Personally, It looks very large. What I would do is cut an inspection hole about 10" square to see it could be make smaller. Easy to patch the hole. It's possible it also houses a main beam so may not be made smaller. Otherwise I would take Kelli's suggestion and mirror it on both sides and make it go away. I put mirrors on my kitchen soffit above the cabinets and it went away. Pipes and electrical cables so I couldn't remove it.

• Pamela

Hi ! You could camoflauge it with mirrors or do the total opposite and put art work on it ! Or a thin rail to hold photos.

• Robyn Garner

You clearly have a heat run through there and there is most likely structural support, electric lines, etc. in there also. Paint it the same color as your ceiling or use it as a delineation point for paint color changes.

• Donnaottone

There are beautiful grates in various colors and sizes (such as I’ve used when our floors were redone pictured below) good luck!

• Kate

I agree with the art work idea, hang it or paint it. How about some small lap quilts?

Get tobacco baskets or other baskets and hang them