Michelle James
Michelle James
  • Emmetsburg, IA

Upcyled Garden Lamp Posts

$20

I am always trying to find ways to incorporate fun solar lighting into my patio space and each year I remove some of the older lights that don't work anymore and create more. This is a fun process for me.

These old lamps were just hanging out in the garage doing nothing so I decided it was their turn to be upcycled! They were perfect for little solar lamp posts.

upcyled garden lamp posts

The first thing that needed to be done was to remove the electrical parts of the lamp. So I cut the cord at the top up where the light bulb goes and pulled it out the bottom of the lamp.

I also removed the pieces that holds the shade and the spot where the bulb would be screwed in.

upcyled garden lamp posts

Next they got a light sanding to help the paint grab on and then a good cleaning! They needed it.

upcyled garden lamp posts

I purchased some solar lights at Menards for the top piece. They needed to be taken apart for painting. This involved removing the solar "lid" piece and removing one screw from the bottom. After that I was able to take out the glass piece inside.

I masked off the solar part of the "lid" piece so it wouldn't get painted.

upcyled garden lamp posts

Everything got a couple of coats of Apple Green spray paint. I love this color.

upcyled garden lamp posts

The next step was to add the solar light to the top of the lamp post. We needed a piece that would fit inside the bottom of the solar light but still allow us to fit it onto the post.

We were unable to find a piece that was just right that would fit onto the threaded tube inside the lamp so PVC was going to be our next choice. I think that would have worked nicely so if you make these look for that.

We had another option. We have a 3D printer so my husband printed a piece to fit.

upcyled garden lamp posts

Then we mixed up some epoxy and glued it onto the lamp.

upcyled garden lamp posts

I love the way they turned out! They are perfect by my back door.

upcyled garden lamp posts

I love looking at them each time I walk in and out of the house and am so glad I took the time to make them.

If you like this project you would probably like more projects from my blog. You can sign up for my email/newsletter and get access to my resource library which is chalk full of designs, printables and more!

Michelle James

• Yvette Mozol

Is the part your husband printed, the clear light under the solar light & how did you decorate the inside. Did you use the base of the solar light to insert in the bottom of the glass piece.

• Michelle James

Hi. He printed the gray, round piece that fit into the space on the bottom of the solar light. The solar lights came with that fun design. I just painted them. I hope that answers your questions.

• Penny Mintyala

Have you ever tinted or used a color on the solar glass? If so, would you use inside or outside of the solar lamp? This is incredibly nice looking. Love your art metal cats?

• Michelle James

Hi Penny. I have not but I think you could. I am sure the sea glass or frosted glass spray paint would work well. I would probably spray the outside but I dont know why. Lol!!

• Jerry Russo

Where did you get that spring head cat sculpture?

• Michelle James

I got that at Menards. The little planter came from Shopko. I love them and am always looking for more now.

• Mary Ellen

OMG! My mother had those exact lamps and I inherited them when I was newly married and my parents redid their living room. Flashback to the 70's! Thank you for that and the lamps look beautiful, neat idea!

• Maureen

Very clever. You did a great job. Your garden solar lights look amazing.