How to Make a Dollar Store Rusty Cake Stand

8 materials
$5

I used the same technique on some other items, but I really wanted to give this a try on a cake stand. I really love how it looks, and so I decided to share the process with y'all! To see how I used this technique on a dollar store pot, click here!

First, I put the cake stand together. I made it using a candlestick and a tray glued together using E6000.

Then, I spray painted the whole cake stand using this hammered metal finish.

Then I sprinkled cinnamon- yes cinnamon! All over the tray!

I then sprayed some polycrylic over the cinnamon to finish it up.

Then, I went over the tray using black paint with a dry brush just to add that extra detailed touch.

And that's it! It looks so chic and I love that rusty weathered look.

It's fun to play around with staging and styling, and I love how I styled this one. If you love unique painting techniques head on over to my most recent tea bag technique! Hope you like it as well!

Questions on this post

Your question...
3 of 5 questions

Comments

2 of 56 comments
Next