Seagrass Tyre Table

$40

Have some old tyres laying around? Want an idea on how to repurpose them? Here’s an interesting way to create your own natural style coffee table.

DIY Seagrass Coffee Table

A few weeks ago I scored some old tyres and was so excited because I wanted to turn them into a coffee table.

Tire
Tools and Materials

Tools and Materials

• seagrass matt
  • tyre
  • table legs
  • plywood
  • glue gun
  • nuts and bolts
  • drill
  • jigsaw
  • rope
  • stain
Drill and Jigsaw

Cut the Plywood

Cut the Plywood

Firstly I needed to cut two circles out of the plywood with a jigsaw- one for the top of the table and the other for the base.

I used a round side table that I had to trace a circle into the plywood- so I cheated a little. Normally you would have to find the centre point and make your circle from the radius.

I started with the base first by drilling holes through the plywood and tyre and attaching with nuts, bolts and washers. I repeated the same process for attaching the wooden legs.

Bottom of the Coffee Table
Table with Legs

Attach the Tyres

Attach the Tires

Next was the tricky part, attaching two tyres together to make the table.

I drilled holes right on the edge of the tyres and found it to be a lot of work lining up the holes. At a later date I realised it was easier to use a c clamp to hold the edges together to drill through and then put the nuts & bolts through.

Add Seagrass

Add Seagrass

After the two tyres were attached I then used a good quality hot glue gun and glued four seagrass mats around the outside of the tyres as well as some rope at the top .

The seagrass mats were a perfect choice because they were only $2 each and also had that natural texture I wanted for the table.

Add Rope

Stain

Stain

So I now needed to turn my attention to the top of the table.

I wasn’t happy with the light plywood colour, so I decided to stain it a little darker to match the seagrass mats.

Trim with Rope

Trim with Rope

Another issue I had with the top piece of plywood was that I hadn’t cut a perfect circle -(still mastering how to cut a perfect circle ) so I glued a lovely rope trim to blend in with the rope already on the top of the table.

DIY Tabletop

In the end I decided not to attach the top as I wanted to use the inside for some storage.

You could use a strong builders glue or liquid nails to attach permanently.

Removable Lid

DIY Seagrass Tire Coffee Table

Absolutely love my creation and it only cost around $40 (Australian).

Have you upcycled something you would normally throw out? Let me know in the comments down below!

• Kathy Land Purser

It's amazing what you come up with

I love it going to try this

• Lisa velez

I know tires are pliable especially since they're hollow..how sturdy is the table? ..ie one of my children sits on it ( as children sometimes do)