Seagrass Tyre Table

$40

Have some old tyres laying around?

Want an idea on how to repurpose them?Here’s an interesting way to create your own natural style coffee table.

seagrass tyre table

A few weeks ago I scored some old tyres and was so excited because I wanted to turn them into a coffee table.

seagrass tyre table
seagrass tyre table
seagrass tyre table

Firstly I needed to cut two circles out of the plywood with a jigsaw- one for the top of the table and the other for the base.

I used a round side table that I had to trace a circle into the plywood- so I cheated a little. Normally you would have to find the centre point and make your circle from the radius.

I started with the base first by drilling holes through the plywood and tyre and attaching with nuts, bolts and washers. I repeated the same process for attaching the wooden legs.

seagrass tyre table
seagrass tyre table
seagrass tyre table

Next was the tricky part, attaching two tyres together to make the table.

I drilled holes right on the edge of the tyres and found it to be a lot of work lining up the holes. At a later date I realised it was easier to use a c clamp to hold the edges together to drill through and then put the nuts & bolts through .

seagrass tyre table

After the two tyres were attached I then used a good quality hot glue gun and glued four seagrass mats around the outside of the tyres as well as some rope at the top .

The seagrass mats were a perfect choice because they were only $2 each and also had that natural texture I wanted for the table.

seagrass tyre table
seagrass tyre table

So I now needed to turn my attention to the top of the table.

I wasn’t happy with the light plywood colour so decided to stain it a little darker to match the seagrass mats.

seagrass tyre table

Another issue I had with the top piece of plywood was that I hadn’t cut a perfect circle -(still mastering how to cut a perfect circle ) so I glued a lovely rope trim to blend in with the rope already on the top of the table.

seagrass tyre table

seagrass tyre table

In the end I decided not to attach the top as I wanted to use the inside for some storage.

You could use a strong builders glue or liquid nails to attach permanently.

seagrass tyre table

seagrass tyre table

Absolutely love my creation and it only cost around $40 (Australian).

• Mary Espinosa

I like the idea but what can I do about the tire oder.

• Taresa

Can i use it as a seat or its weak to sit on.

Thank you

• Jerry Lynn

No, I don't think so. The sea grass doesn't seem to be tightly woven. Can't the tire be seen through the sea grass?

• No you can’t see the TYRE- the mat is quite thick so you can’t even tell that there’s a TYRE underneath.

Most of my visitors when seeing it for the first time have no idea that its made from tyres.

• Red

I would paint the tires first so the color behind the mats would be nice. It's a cute idea!

• Vickie

cool ideal, but the smell of the tire would stink up the house.