Asked on Jun 26, 2019

How do I keep squirrels from chewing on my hibiscus tree?

Nancy TurnerOur Crafty MomAmanda

I have noticed bare branches and leaves around my tropical hibiscus tree. I thought it was just adjustment to be moving outside, but this morning, I found the culprit - a squirrel! How can I discourage this squirrel without damaging the plant or hurting the squirrel? - thanks

• Amanda
    Amanda

Hi Jeanette. I would make a spray with water and cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes and spray it on the plant. I do this to my pots to keep them out. Good Luck!

• Jeanette
      Jeanette

Thank you! I will definitely try this spray, can you tell me the proportion of water to flakes that you use? Do you spray the leaves and/or the soil? - thanks

• Nancy Turner
    Nancy Turner

I use cayenne pepper powder liberally sprinkled around the plants. Follow that with grated Irish spring bar soap. If that doesn't work, add in the spray on the plants. I have six hibiscus plants in pots that I put out every spring and have never had them eat on the plants, dig in the soil, yes. If the strong scents and taste don't work, try putting a mouse trap baited with peanut butter in the pot. They are too big to get trapped in a mouse trap, but the snap scares them away, sometimes for good. I hope this works for you Jeanette!