A Catalog Knock Off for a Fraction of the Price!

$59

I am back at it again! I spotted this beautiful door swag in one of the many catalogs I receive. It is so pretty and I knew my Mom would like it on her door. You can see more of my crafts and creations here.

But…is this worth $249? Okay, full disclosure, it is now on sale for $174.99. I knew I could make this for less than half that.  

I begin all of my swags with a block of styrofoam. This is a standard size that is about 2 inches by 4 inches by 12 inches. Here is a link for getting your styrofoam blocks! 

The first step to making your swag is to give yourself a hanger to hang it from the door where you will be displaying it. I like to use a paper wrapped wire. Push both ends of the wire through the foam, but DO NOT pull it all the way down tight agains the foam. If you do, it can cut right through the foam.

Cut a pipe cleaner in half. Take each half of the pipe cleaner and bend it as shown, or in and “M” or “W” shape.

Take that squiggly piece of pipe cleaner and put it down beneath the wire and then you can pull the wire tight. That pipe cleaner will keep the wire from cutting through your foam.

Use the other half of the pipe cleaner on the back of your foam and then twist the ends of the wire and make a circle to hang your swag on a hook on your door.

For the majority of my greenery, I selected less expensive ficus branches from Hobby Lobby. Of course, you want to buy them when they are 50% off, like I did!

My big bargain was the addition of a bunch of hydrangea leaves I used leftover from my  4th of July wreath.  

Cut apart the pieces of the ficus branches.

I used a steel pick machine, but you could use wood wired sticks like I showed when I decorated my mailbox for the 4th of July.  

This is how the ends of the stems will look like with the steel picks on them ready to use them to make your door swag.

Just add your ficus tree leaves all around the styrofoam forming the shape of the swag that you want.

It’s time to add those big beautiful purple hydrangea blooms. If you prefer, you could use pink or white blooms.

Fill in the space around the blooms with the hydrangea leaves, then add a branch of variegated stems and add a few stems of silk lavender.  Your door swag will be complete!  

This beautiful door swag now adorns my Mom's door and for just $59.00!  I would love to have you stop by my blog,  Celebrate & Decorate for the full tutorial as well as sign up for my latest creations, posts, recipes, exclusives, and more...

Make Your Home a Winter Wonderland With These Stunning Ideas
Update Your Plain Dishes With These Adorable Ideas
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
3 Ideas To Use Terracotta Pots You Definitely Haven't Seen Before
15 Stencil Patterns You'll Wish You'd Seen Sooner
13 Bird Feeders From Upcycled Items
Upgrade Your Backyard With These 30 Clever Ideas
Make Your Kitchen Beautiful With These 15 Inexpensive Ideas
How To: Make Hot Glue Placemats + More Crafts Ideas!
27 Wonderful Ways You Can Use Scrapbooking Paper
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
18 Ideas to Keep You From Feeling Blue
3 Simple Green Ways To Clean In Your Home
Chloe Crabtree