Stained Glass (faux) Barn Doors

$260
3 Months

I had built a linen closet in the MBR during our home remodel and wanted to use french doors we removed from another room as the closet barn doors. I love cherry blossoms and found a design to blow up and trace to paint the flowers. Then I added a 3 dimensional tree trunk up the middle with limbs going out to the flowers. Turned out amazing. I worked full time while working on this project, so I did a little on weekends and nights while we were working other projects as well like putting new boards down on the dock.

This is the finished project, turned out better than I had imagined.

I found the design I liked and used my printer to enlarge the design then copied many flowers and alternated how they would be laid out. I used tape to put the design on the back of the glass.

The first flowers turned out too small to paint and develop fully, so back to the drawing board to blow up to larger examples. I did save the first panel I painted as a cling for another window.

This size of flower was much easier to multi-color with the faux stained gallery glass paint.

I filled the background of each panel with a sky blue.

Held up the door to the window, and when light shines through the design really pops

I used wall board compound for the tree trunk design which I applied with a putty knife and scraped off around the edges to define it with this scraper. I purchased a bark design roller and rolled up the edge of the design to make it look like a tree.

After the compound dried (24 hrs), I applied an antiquing glaze and then removed it to the shade I desired by gently using a wet cloth and brush

I went back through and added limbs between the panes to connect the flowers.

I had no lighting in this closet so I used a left over 4 ft under counter LED light we didn't use in the kitchen remodel. I youtubed how to rewire it for a plug in then used an extension cord to go from hard wire to plug in model. I had left an outlet in the closet when building it. I added a toggle switch chest high on the cord and attached it with velcro on the left wall just inside the door. Works great for seeing in the closet when you open the door, and shining through the design. We bought the barn door hardware on Amazon and I was happy to see the prices had come down significantly over the last 3 years with the designs popularity!

To see more: https://plaidonline.com/brands/gallery-glass

• Peggy

Wow! This turned out amazing. I really didn’t think the slide mechanism could be done like that. How did you install the double bars or were they purchased like that?

• Sandy O'Konek

They were purchased like that. I tried a single bar but when I built the linen closet I estimated a minimum overlap in the middle so I could put the tree trunk there. It wasn't enough of an overlap for the single bar.

• Tracy Stephens

I am not a flower person. flowers belong in the dirt, the tree is fabulous I absolutely love the double door idea. Gonna make a sliding barn door for my bathroom for a little privacy. Thank you for sharing. It turned out beautifully.

• Mary

Hi , those doors are so beautiful. What an amazing job you did.