Homeroad
Homeroad
  • Huntington, NY

Cleaning and Maintaining a Teak Bench

$10

This project started over the weekend when we wanted to get things done around the house.

cleaning and maintaining a teak bench

Our goal for the weekend was to pressure wash everything that wasn't tied down! The vinyl siding, bricks, front stoop, garage door, everything! 

cleaning and maintaining a teak bench

The teak wood bench at the front of the house was dirty and moldy so while we had the pressure washer out, we used it on the bench. 

The bench has been sitting on the front stoop for years and like everything else on the front of the house, it was getting a little green. Power or pressure washing is easy to do, choose a warm day, and spray away. Pressure washers can be rented from your local big box store in most areas or you can buy an inexpensive one to have available when you need it. We chose to buy one.

cleaning and maintaining a teak bench

A quick once over with the pressure washer, being careful not to have the pressure too high and damage the wood, and it was looking great! If you use too much pressure or get too close with a direct spray, you can damage the surface of what you're trying to clean. It will remove paint! 

cleaning and maintaining a teak bench

I sat the bench out in the sun to dry for a couple of hours then  coated it with hemp oil to preserve the wood and give it a little protection. Some people choose to use nothing on teak wood but I've had success with hemp oil in the past so it is what I chose to protect the wood. 

cleaning and maintaining a teak bench

The hemp oil glides on easily .

cleaning and maintaining a teak bench

You can see it bring the dry wood to life right away!

cleaning and maintaining a teak bench

This was a quick and easy weekend project that helped give the bench a longer life. 

cleaning and maintaining a teak bench

In no time the bench was back on the porch and looking better than ever! 

cleaning and maintaining a teak bench

Now it's back to more work around the house, the projects never end! 

Please visit the GO BOX at the bottom of this post to visit Homeroad and many more DIY tutorials.

Homeroad

• Katen

I like the idea of applying a finish to any outdoor wood. No matter what type of wood it gets dry and the grain gets scratchy. I’ve never heard of hemp oil but now that I know about it I’ll be sure to try it

• Paulette

Thank you Robyn. My hardwood floors are a bamboo color. Some areas are worn. How can I get rid of those areas without having to replace the wood.

Thank you

Paulette