Lori Haught Harper
Lori Haught Harper
  • Parkersburg, WV

Bland to Grand TV Stand

$10

My husband just loves it when I bring home furniture to redo. (Insert sarcasm.) Sometimes it takes me a while to get to them so they just take up space. Many of you can probably relate. Well, I finally got around to painting this little stand, and I’m really happy with how it turned out. He even liked it!

Before
Before

Above is the before picture. I would say this is something from the ’80s or ’90s, but it is a solid piece of furniture. All it needed was a facelift.  I gave it updated hardware and used a three-color blended paint technique to give it some interest.

1 Coat China Blue
1 Coat China Blue

The colors I used for this makeover are General Finishes China Blue Milk Paint, GF Westminster Green and a purply mix of Black Dog Salvage Blue Ridge and Appalachian Sunset Furniture Paint. Sounds a little weird, but stick with me.

After cleaning it up and removing the hardware on the front, I gave the entire piece, inside and out, a coat of China Blue. 

Starting to blend the colors
Starting to blend the colors

For the next step, I worked on one section at a time so the paint was still wet. I started with the door panels.

Now, listen up—this is important. If you try this, pour some of each color paint into a separate container or cup AND use a separate brush for each color. As you are dipping and blending, the colors will naturally mix on your brush but you don’t want to dip a dirty brush back in with what is left in the can.

Doors with 3-color blend
Doors with 3-color blend

So, with a different brush than what I used for the China Blue, I highlighted the inner edges of the panels with Westminster Green, blending where the two colors met so there was no demarcation line between the blue and the green. Sometimes I went back to the China Blue brush and alternated until I liked how it looked. With a third brush, I used the purply Black Dog Salvage mix for the center of the panels.  

The color blend is subtle but gives interest

I used the same technique on the sides, top and inside of the stand.

When that was dry I used some gold Gilders Paste, similar to Briwax Gold Gilt Cream, to highlight the edges a little. I just put it on with my finger and ran it along the edge of the area and around where the door handles would go. I thought that would go well with the new gold handles.

A touch of glimmer
A touch of glimmer

I gave the entire piece two coats of General Finishes High Performance Topcoat in Satin finish and then attached the updated gold hardware.

After - a modern upgrade
After - a modern upgrade

I think the sheen of the topcoat and the gold handles, along with the interesting paint treatment, give this project a more contemporary look. For more details and photos, check out the complete blog link at the bottom.

I had everything on hand except the gold handles, which came from Amazon, so my actual cost for this makeover was minimal.

Do you have a project or two sitting around waiting for you to become inspired? Grab a paintbrush today and get started! 

Lori Haught Harper

• Elizabeth

Pictures are SO DARK! Can you post lighter pictures so we can see the paint effect? Your 1st coat of China blue looks the SAME as your finished product!

• Dawn
      30 minutes ago

I disagree. Maybe try adjusting the brightness of your screen?