Deconstructed Inspired Daybed

$200

An easy method to achieving a deconstructed inspired daybed.

My before photo of my daybed.
My before photo of my daybed.

For months I searched for a non-typical daybed that I could use as a sofa in my master bedroom. I knew I wanted something that I could transform into a deconstructed look without it costing an arm and a leg. My search came to a halt when I came across this daybed. I was able to see my vision, the bones of the bed were perfect, and I loved the depth from the back of the sofa to the front. I didn’t care about the color and I know a lot of people think it’s a crime to paint over wood but not me! Keep in mind this may not be a perfect deconstructed project but I knew three things; 1. I loved the style of the bed; it had potential. 2. The cushions would be easy to reupholster (the easy way) because they were clean and I wouldn’t have to re-invent the wheel because the cushions were made well. Finally, 3. I did not care about the color of the bed because I knew I would be painting it (or so I thought lol). You will see what I actually ended up doing.

Sanding away using my orbital sander.
Sanding away using my orbital sander.

The wood turned out to be Mahogany-wood and as I stated earlier my original plan was to paint it. However, after I started lightly sanding it I realized I loved the natural color of the wood so I decided not to paint it but instead, leave it in its natural beauty. The more I sanded the more I loved the appearance that I was achieving. I decided not to completely sand it but to leave some of the dark mahogany showing. I think it worked out perfectly especially with this project because after all, I was aiming for a deconstructed look. When I work on projects I start with a vision but as I begin working it’s almost as if the piece I’m working on directs me in a different direction and tells me what to do with it. In this case I didn’t mind one bit that I did not have to paint it. Not that I wouldn’t have but it did save me a little time and sweat lol

Gluing, tacking and hammering away
Gluing, tacking and hammering away

Since the fabric was clean and in good condition, I decided to take a shortcut by gluing the burlap directly onto the existing fabric. I then took twine and strategically tacked/sewed it onto the existing fabric. This also served as an added measure of securing the burlap to the existing fabric. I only hot glued around the edges of the sofa and a little around the middle section of the seat. I did the same for the back of the sofa. I also hammered the nail-heads around the bottom of the sofa.

Nail-head trim
Nail-head trim

Here is a close-up of the nail heads that I used around the bottom of the bed. I like the nail-heads because it gives it a more authentic and rustic look. It was perfect for the cozy feel I was trying to achieve and look at that wood

Sewing on the painters drop cloth.
Sewing on the painters drop cloth.

This is a front and back view of the cushions that I wrapped with the painters cloth. Again, because the cushions were in good shape I decided to wrap them instead of sewing new cushions. This worked out perfectly and I though it was very easy. I cut the cloth leaving enough excess fabric so that I can wrap the bottom sides of the cushions. I used twine because it is so thick and I was using it for other areas such as the back of the sofa. It helped tie everything together (no punt intended  ) Also, I did not mind that the stitches on the backside were so large because I knew that they would not be visible in the end.

The corners of the cushions.
The corners of the cushions.

I folded the corners of each of the cushions to ensure that they laid nice and flat.

The tacked burlap using twine
The tacked burlap using twine

This is what it looked like after I completed gluing and tacking the burlap on to the sofa.

Covering the pillows
Covering the pillows

I love farmhouse decor and what better way to achieve that look then by using ticking fabric, burlap, painters cloth, and rope. I decided that I wanted the pillows wrapped in the painters cloth but have exposed burlap. I sewed the painters cloth around the pillows after I covered part of them with burlap and the ticking fabric. Once I completed that, I decided to tie rope around the tops of the pillows. I love the look that it created.

My completed look
My completed look

This is my completed project. I was very pleased with how it turned out! As time goes on, I have added more pillows. The one with the 1990 stenciled on it, represents the year my husband and I were married. The sofa fits perfectly in my little cozy corner of my master bedroom. As I stated earlier, one of the things I loved about this daybed was the depth from the back to the front. This has worked out perfectly for my grandkids Because they get to sleep on it and it’s a perfect size! If you’d like to see more of my DIY projects please feel free to visit me on IG @mycreativekneads

• Deek

Did you buy the bed new & if so where? I have the same question about your coffee table. You know how you don’t really know what you want until you see it??? I just saw it! Thanks for the inspiration.

• Irma | mycreativekneads

Hi, I know what you mean lol! It wasn’t new, I purchased it from Craigslist I believe and the coffee table from an antique store. Good luck on your search, I’m sure you can find something similar