Deconstructed Inspired Daybed

$200

An easy method to achieving a deconstructed inspired daybed.

My before photo of my daybed.

For months I searched for a non-typical daybed that I could use as a sofa in my master bedroom. I knew I wanted something that I could transform into a deconstructed look without it costing an arm and a leg. My search came to a halt when I came across this daybed. I was able to see my vision, the bones of the bed were perfect, and I loved the depth from the back of the sofa to the front. I didn’t care about the color and I know a lot of people think it’s a crime to paint over wood but not me! Keep in mind this may not be a perfect deconstructed project but I knew three things; 1. I loved the style of the bed; it had potential. 2. The cushions would be easy to reupholster (the easy way) because they were clean and I wouldn’t have to re-invent the wheel because the cushions were made well. Finally, 3. I did not care about the color of the bed because I knew I would be painting it (or so I thought lol). You will see what I actually ended up doing.

Sanding away using my orbital sander.

The wood turned out to be Mahogany-wood and as I stated earlier my original plan was to paint it. However, after I started lightly sanding it I realized I loved the natural color of the wood so I decided not to paint it but instead, leave it in its natural beauty. The more I sanded the more I loved the appearance that I was achieving. I decided not to completely sand it but to leave some of the dark mahogany showing. I think it worked out perfectly especially with this project because after all, I was aiming for a deconstructed look. When I work on projects I start with a vision but as I begin working it’s almost as if the piece I’m working on directs me in a different direction and tells me what to do with it. In this case I didn’t mind one bit that I did not have to paint it. Not that I wouldn’t have but it did save me a little time and sweat lol

Gluing, tacking and hammering away

Since the fabric was clean and in good condition, I decided to take a shortcut by gluing the burlap directly onto the existing fabric. I then took twine and strategically tacked/sewed it onto the existing fabric. This also served as an added measure of securing the burlap to the existing fabric. I only hot glued around the edges of the sofa and a little around the middle section of the seat. I did the same for the back of the sofa. I also hammered the nail-heads around the bottom of the sofa.

Nail-head trim

Here is a close-up of the nail heads that I used around the bottom of the bed. I like the nail-heads because it gives it a more authentic and rustic look. It was perfect for the cozy feel I was trying to achieve and look at that wood

Sewing on the painters drop cloth.

This is a front and back view of the cushions that I wrapped with the painters cloth. Again, because the cushions were in good shape I decided to wrap them instead of sewing new cushions. This worked out perfectly and I though it was very easy. I cut the cloth leaving enough excess fabric so that I can wrap the bottom sides of the cushions. I used twine because it is so thick and I was using it for other areas such as the back of the sofa. It helped tie everything together (no punt intended  ) Also, I did not mind that the stitches on the backside were so large because I knew that they would not be visible in the end.

The corners of the cushions.

I folded the corners of each of the cushions to ensure that they laid nice and flat.

The tacked burlap using twine

This is what it looked like after I completed gluing and tacking the burlap on to the sofa.

Covering the pillows

I love farmhouse decor and what better way to achieve that look then by using ticking fabric, burlap, painters cloth, and rope. I decided that I wanted the pillows wrapped in the painters cloth but have exposed burlap. I sewed the painters cloth around the pillows after I covered part of them with burlap and the ticking fabric. Once I completed that, I decided to tie rope around the tops of the pillows. I love the look that it created.

My completed look

This is my completed project. I was very pleased with how it turned out! As time goes on, I have added more pillows. The one with the 1990 stenciled on it, represents the year my husband and I were married. The sofa fits perfectly in my little cozy corner of my master bedroom. As I stated earlier, one of the things I loved about this daybed was the depth from the back to the front. This has worked out perfectly for my grandkids Because they get to sleep on it and it’s a perfect size! If you’d like to see more of my DIY projects please feel free to visit me on IG @mycreativekneads

Everlast painters drop cloth (love their color)

Storage Hacks That Will Instantly Declutter Your Kitchen
31 Tricks To Help You Fix The Wood In Your Home:
15 Memorial Day Crafts
Check Out These 15 Beautiful Flower Ideas For Spring
22 Ideas To Make Your Terracotta Pots Look Oh-So-Pretty
Does Your Staircase Need an Update?
15 DIY Projects That Will Make You Say "WOW!"
3 Cute Step-by-Step Ideas For Unique Planters
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Add A Hint Of Farmhouse Style In Your Home With These Ideas
Do You Want to Make Over a Room in Your Home & Add Gorgeous Built-Ins?
31 Update Ideas To Make Your Kitchen Look Fabulous
These Clever Ideas Will Help You With Spring Cleaning

• Deek

Did you buy the bed new & if so where? I have the same question about your coffee table. You know how you don’t really know what you want until you see it??? I just saw it! Thanks for the inspiration.

• Vonnie

First, let me say I think this is just a beautiful daybed and you did a great job on it. The thing I was wondering is does the back of it fold down into a bigger bed? It is never shown down so I am thinking it does not, but just wondering? Thank you for sharing your project with everyone,

• Irma | mycreativekneads

Thank you Vonnie so much! Nope it doesn’t fold down, it’s solid. I should’ve posted a photo of the back, but I forgot to. The back is covered in burlap.

• Shug

How easy is clean up ? This is simply stunning. Nice job.