Jeremy Hoffpauir
Jeremy Hoffpauir
  • Destin, FL

DIY Folding Wall Desk (Space Saver)

$25

In this HT tutorial, I show you now to save space by installing a folding wall desk.

My 10 year old daughter often visits me in my home office to do her homework, draw on my whiteboard, or ask me easy questions such as:

Who invented rainbows?

Why does money exist if we know how to share?

5 reasons why she needs an iphone.

Maybe if my daughter has a desk in my office, she will ask more questions. :)

diy folding wall desk space saver

Folding Wall Desk Hinges

Multi-purpose furniture reduces clutter and simply makes things more efficient.

First, I used folding wall desk or table hinges for the DIY folding wall desk. These folding hinges are very affordable (checkout link below) and can be used for wood desks or even resin wall art which fold into a desk.

I determined the ideal height of 29".

diy folding wall desk space saver

Folding Hinges

These hinges fold up by pressing a button. They are extremely easy to operate.

diy folding wall desk space saver

Locate Wall Studs

First, I used folding wall desk or table hinges for the DIY folding wall desk. 

I determined the ideal height and made a mental note.

diy folding wall desk space saver

Secure Folding Hinges to Studs

I mounted the left bracket to the stud using 1.75″ screws and a level to keep the hinge vertical. 

I placed a large level on top of the left hinge to ensure the right hinge was level. 

Then, I installed the right folding hinge.

diy folding wall desk space saver

Desk Installation

Again, the desk could be an art piece such as mine or something as simple as a stained piece of plywood.

After I mounted each hinge for the DIY folding wall desk, I extended them and centered the wood resin beach art on top.

diy folding wall desk space saver

Attach Hinges to underside of Table

Instead of drilling into the resin, I located 2 screw holes on each hinge which were under the wood.

diy folding wall desk space saver

Once the desk was secured to the underside, I simply pressed the button and the desk dropped down.

diy folding wall desk space saver

When down, everyone thinks it is simply wall art.

diy folding wall desk space saver

This is a picture of the murphy desk folded down.

diy folding wall desk space saver

This is a picture of the desk folded up.

And, ready for my daughter's inquisitive mind. :)

Conclusion

In summary, I hope you enjoyed this project and it brought you some form of value.

Be sure to  visit my blog to find out how I transported this table and for more details on this project.

Please consider  subscribing to my YouTube channel for more DIY project videos.

Jeremy Hoffpauir

• Lisa West
    Yesterday

I so love the question why have money if we are taught to share. Your daughter sounds very smart and has one hell amox an IQ. Dont discourage her from asking questions. Some of those questions will make you think or rock your world. I have 3 kids myself. Some days it was an onslaught of questions from all 3 were my brain wanted to implode. Lol any way this is a great project and can be used any where in the home or even on a deck patio or some where outside in the outdoor livening space. Juat a great and partial and pretty idea. Thank you for sharing. If possible please share those questions and answers between you and your daughter. This will help other parents in the question department when that time comes. Plus it gives all parents a giggle. Kids are great!! I would give mine up for the world. Now they are grown and all moved out. My son just moved out 2 weeks ago. I am having empty nest syndrome. Not sure how to handle at this point. Very boring with no kids during the day. Thank you again for sharing.

• Jeremy Hoffpauir
      Yesterday

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for the kind words and advice. I have 2 older boys (just sent 1 off to college) and my daughter is the caboose. As you stated, I definitely cherish these moments with her b/c I know how quickly it goes by. She loves art and the ocean, so I made her that desk with the hopes she will spend all her free time in my office asking me questions about the universe and the meaning of life.

• Rebecca Wick
    7 hours ago

It's a beautiful desk top! And your comments on kids is right on. Had 6 and all are adults now with kids of their own who all have inquiring minds. At a loss for words sometimes! Oh and 17 grandkids. What a blessing they are!