Vintage Book Wall Decor

$20

I get so tired of the standard wall decor you see for sale in so many stores. I was wanting something with some texture and dimension above my bed, and I happen to have a great collection of old books. With these things in mind, my first book wall was born! Since then, I have also helped my mom (a retired librarian) create a book wall in her dining room using all of her favorite authors, books, and even a few of her favorite Christian hymns.

vintage book wall decor
vintage book wall decor

I know this looks a little silly, but stay with me on this! The first thing you need to do is figure out how big you want the wall decor space to be. I would outline the area with brackets using chalk. This will give you a good basis.

Then I would start imaging where the larger books you plan to use will go. By placing these ahead of time, you will save yourself a lot of headache! Just draw imaginary square books on your wall with chalk, and if you don't like the layout you can easily erase it and try again!

vintage book wall decor

Now it's time to place the books! I used small nails to attach most of the books. I tried to choose books that are not overly heavy. Just put the nail a few pages back from the page you want to show. You can easily tape the remaining pages back over each other to cover the nail.

vintage book wall decor

Have fun with the placement of the pages! I like to fan some out, fold some, and roll some up together. I find that a good mixture looks best.

vintage book wall decor

After placing all of the actual books, start filling in holes with individual pages. I simply tape these to the wall with double sided tape.

vintage book wall decor

After you are pleased with the placement of all books and pages, you can start adding greenery! I think this adds a whole new dimension to this already unique wall decor! I like to change out the florals seasonally.

vintage book wall decor

This wall is decorated for Spring/Summer. For Fall, I will add red and orange leaves and maybe a few Fall flowers. For winter, I will go with some evergreens. I may even add some red berries for Christmas!

vintage book wall decor

Here is the book wall in my bedroom. Right now, I have this one decorated for Independence Day. These vintage flags may be my favorite addition yet! I really feel like the possibilities are endless with this project!

vintage book wall decor

For more, please follow me on Instagram @renovationqueenlife.

To see more: https://www.therenovationqueen.com/

• Ellie

Very creative and would be great for a book lover. My only question is, how to you dust it without damaging the pages of the books???

• Tamara

Reverse the hose on your vaccuum cleaner, it will become a blower.

• Ginger Stewart

How to diy a new light fixture out of the old three light style

• Neeci

You can also take old book pages, or sheet music and modpodge and cover your switchplates to match. Do the same with lamp bases, drawer fronts, picture frames, just about anything, to pull the whole room together at practically no cost!

• Debi
    An hour ago

I was thinking of an area at church with hymns from old hymnals.