How to Update a Dresser Using Resin and Paper Clay Appliques

$75

I bought this Bombay style dresser over a year ago for a client who originally wanted to add it to her decor, but then changed her mind. And I've been holding on to this piece ever since!

With those gorgeous curves, I knew I needed to do something special with this piece.

I saw this stunning piece full of floral molds on a high-end website and I was instantly inspired!

I gave my idea to another local furniture refinisher, and a friend, Candace, the owner of Sea Maid, and she loved it as well! So she helped me get started on this one....

I first prepped my piece. Clean really well, make any necessary repairs, then did a scuff sand all over using 220 grit sandpaper, and finally I primed the piece.

Once the primer dried, I painted the entire piece, except for the top, with heavenly blue by Frenchic. This only took 2 coats to cover and I sanded after each coat using 320 grit sandpaper.

Then dry brushed the entire piece using an ivory color, focusing on the curves

For the top, I used a product called retique it. It's liquid wood and is stainable. I applied the first coat and allowed it to dry, then applied the second,and while it was still wet, I ran a wood graining tool over it.

Now it's time to add the molds! There are two companies who make great silicone molds, Redesign with Prima and Iron Orchid Designs. We used 8 different molds to get all the different flowers and leaves.

I used paper clay to make the appliques that needed to go around the corners or be pliable, and amazing resin for the rest.

When using clay, sprinkle the silicone mold with corn starch, this allows the molded clay to pop out easily.

Just press the clay in the mold, and remove as much of the excess as possible. Then pop it out!

When using the quick set amazing resin (they make two different kinds, one takes 24-48 hours to cure, the other takes only a few minutes), mix in small batches according to the directions. It hardens quickly, so don't mix much at a time.

You don't need the corn starch when using resin. Just pour the mixture into the mold and wait for it to harden and then it will pop right out

To attach the appliques, you can use either e6000 or wood glue. They both work well and make a tight between the mold and piece of furniture

Once I had all of the appliques attached, I took a small detail brush and painted them all with general finishes champagne pearl effects. This is a beautiful shimmery ivory. We also painted the hardware in the same ivory color as the dry brushing and added a bit of the champagne Pearl effects as well

Once everything had dried, I sealed the entire piece with general finishes high performance top coat. I did 3 thin coats, waiting 2 hours in between coats

And there you have it! An extremely unique piece that you will never see again 😍

Here is a before photo

And some more after photos

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask, either here, or reach out to me on my Facebook page. I'd be happy to help and inspire 😉

You can also find more unique pieces and inspiration on my Instagram

https://m.facebook.com/deerrunrevamps/?ref=bookmarks

https://www.instagram.com/deer_run_revamps

To see more: https://m.facebook.com/deerrunrevamps/?ref=bookmarks

• Ardale

Stunningly beautiful! I'd like to ask if either of these appliques are stainable? I have some furniture that I'd prefer to leave in their natural dark wood color but would love to add some appliques to liven then up.

• Cherie

You can always use a lt brown coat of pain and then use a dark wax or unicorn spit to make details pop of even look like wood. You can use spit on anything

• Chavela

Do you sell your pieces,and if so where can I purchase it ?

• Deer Run Revamps

Yes, I do sell them. This piece sold, but you can see what I have available in my Etsy shop. After clicking in the search bar, click on shops, then type in Deer Run Revamps

You can find me on Facebook if you'd like to see the pieces that I'm currently working on, or to contact me if you have any questions. I also have a Facebook shop. Just search for Deer Run Revamps and I'll pop up

• Tracy

You mentioned the you used paper clay for the appliques that needed to be pliable but the ones you created from resin, was that a white resin? I've been working with resin and have only used the clear stuff so just curious!

• Pickle

wow!!!! is all i have to say!!!

• Cherie

From a nightmare to a beautiful dream. Fantastic job!