Family Portrait Made With Pebbles and Driftwood

$30

This is a very easy, relaxing and unique craft to create if you have access to a variety of small pebbles. Luckily for me I do because our ocean waves often tumble the rocks into a very smooth finish.

Local Rocky Coastline

I also collect small pieces of driftwood, seashells and sea glass which I also incorporate into my pebble pictures.

So to begin I'll pull out several pebbles and begin to twist, flip over and connect them until it resembles the family members I'm trying to form. For instance here I was creating a Father and son who were fishing and mother and baby sitting and watching, do you see it? I manuered it a little here and there which you can do once you have the rocks for the body decided upon.

Let's see if you can determine what these are? Hint...woof, woof!

Family dogs

So for the process of assembling I use a watercolor paper for these portrait backgrounds, it's sold in tablets measuring 9 x 12 so I trim it down to 8 x 10.

I use Aleene's Tacky Glue to attach the pebbles to paper, if I need to glue a pebble onto another pebble I use E6000.

For the portrait messages I simply use rub-on transfers to add a personal thought as a final touch to the pebble family.

I buy 8 x 10 shadow box frames at the dollar store which have an inner frame measuring 5 x 7. This will be the size you will need to confine your portait size to.

** Therefore it's wise to make some light markings on your watercolor paper with the inner frame before you begin to glue the pebbles in place.

So with the pebbles glued in place, a few driftwood chairs and a sweet message it's all assembled into the frame. Here is the final look, it's a family consisting of a mom, daughter and their sweet cat standing on a mat made of moss.

Get your supplies, play some relaxing music and let your imagination create these pebble families.

I have done others which are included in this previous post... http://www.hometalk.com/38342103/sea-my-inspiration<p><br><p" target="_blank">http://www.hometalk.com/38342103/sea-my-inspi...>* Costs are in Canadian currency and includes cost of glues which I had for other projects as well.