Kris |  Beautymark Furniture
Kris | Beautymark Furniture
  • Culver City, CA

Thin Blue Line Sign

$15

If you are a police officer or have any police officers in your life, you know what the thin blue line is. My husband is a police officer and I've been wanting to make something special for him that represents what he does and what he risks everyday. I decided on a rustic looking plank wood sign.

thin blue line sign

I used a bunch of scrap wood that I had and decided to make two in case I messed one up!

thin blue line sign

First I decided about how big I wanted the signs to be and cut my wood strips to size. This part is completely customizable depending on where you want to hang the sign. I used old scrap wood that was twisted, bowed and warped and I had to plane it down and even it out. (An easier way would be just to rip and cut nice straight pine boards to your desired size but I wanted to use up what I had.)

thin blue line sign

Once I had the strips layed out I used a hand plane to give each side a v groove so they would stand out a little more once they were all glued up together. If you skip this step, it will be harder to see the individual planks once they are all glued up.

thin blue line sign

Next step: glue and clamp! Make sure the planks are all laying nice and flat.

thin blue line sign

Once the glue is set and dry (I usually give it a good hour or so), it's time to stain! I used a mix of old stains for a weathered and layered look.

thin blue line sign

Once the stain is dry you can paint your thin blue line! I used regular old acrylic paint for this step and it came out just as I had envisioned it.

thin blue line sign

The last step was to hand paint the lettering, with which I clearly need a bit more practice! I found a few fonts that I liked online and wrote it out lightly in pencil first. There are definitely other ways you could go about this. Perhaps creating a stencil or custom vinyl lettering would work as well but I decided to try freehand. In the end I'm happy with how they turned out and I know that they mean something very special to me and my family.

thin blue line sign

One will be hung above our front door and the other will be a gift to a very dear friend who is also in law enforcement. The possibilities with these handmade plank signs are endless and I'd love to hear what kind you would make!

• Scrap wood
  • Wood stain
  • Acrylic paint

1 comment
  • Wendy

These are beautiful and so heartfelt