Oh The Places You'll Go

$21.00

• While sitting at your desk. :) My tired old desk needed a make-over. The top was wearing down. Now, this is NOT fine furniture, so whatever I do to it won't harm it.

post

So, I used these maps I had lying around. To decoupage, I use a watered down white glue. For me, Mod-Podge is pricey.

post

Just paste on the glue with a sponge brush, on the back side. Then flip it and add it to the desk top in no particular order. Experiment with it.

If your desk has any glossy areas, you might want to lightly sand those areas before you start.

post

The larger the pieces, the harder it is to work with. So cut up the maps.

post

Just like wallpaper, you need to smooth it out and remove the bubbles and extra glue. Just use any hard flat item to do this.

post

I did add some other cut outs, butterflies, flowers, etc. I used only one 4 ounce bottle of white glue for the entire desk. The desk is 29 inches by 59 inches.

post

To seal it, I put on 5 coats of Minwax Pro Series SPAR URETHANE, indoor/outdoor. So far I have found that this urethane doesn't yellow. I had it on hand from a previous project.

Now, this is not for everyone, since it is a busy pattern. But it's fun looking at the maps.

You can also buy a piece of plexi-glass cut to fit the desk top. That would be too expensive for this old desk.

post

I tried several times to get this photo to the top. It's a before photo. Sorry

• Harry Haggen

Did you peice together the maps of one community or is this of several different locations throughout the country puzzled together?

• Merry_sherri

I saw maps for California, Arizona, Nevada/Utah on the desk and one map isn’t large enough to cover the entire desk so I’m guessing she mixed them. The beauty of DIY is YOU get to choose whatever works for you. I think it’s a wonderful idea!

• Linda

This is pieces from 4 different maps. I used what I had.

• Linda

Great job.. And great idea.. Gave me some good ideas too for an old road atlas.

• Linda

Have fun Linda. We would love to see your project when finished.

• Debbie

How. Much water do you mix with the glue?

• Linda

I don't quite go 50/50, so I have some water and start adding glue. This time I used more than in the past. I'd say not thin like water but not as thick as the glue itself. It's not going to matter much as long as it sticks. And it will stick when dry with very little glue.