How can I clean a self-cleaning oven manually?

+10
  • My oven is self cleaning and I have never used that function. I just make a paste of vinegar and baking soda. I do clean my oven often, so never too difficult to do.

• Betsy Betsy on Jun 30, 2019

Hi Mary: What I use is a paste of vinegar and cream of tartar (the dry stuff). Make a paste of vinegar and cream of tartar (use just a bit of vinegar at first as the cream of tartar sort of melts) and put it on the gunk. Maybe start out with 3 tablespoons of cream of tartar and a 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar. Add more of whatever to make a paste. It should stick to a vertical surface if it's thick enough. Let it sit for about 15 or 20 seconds and then scrape off with a plastic putty knife or one of those plastic scrubbies. You may have to do it a couple of times if the gunk is thick, but usually not. There is no smell and it is environmentally safe. A lot of people don't know, but on most stoves, the door comes off and the bottom of the oven comes off. You don't have to take the door off to get the oven floor out. Sometimes it's hard to get the door back on:) Also, the rack holders are removable:) Good luck.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jul 01, 2019

I am wondering what is the reason why you would want to try to manually clean a self-cleaning oven?

• See 2 previous
    • Betsy Betsy on Jul 04, 2019

Well, for one, if you have a pet bird, self cleaning ovens give off something that can, potentially, kill them.

• Flipturn Flipturn on Jul 01, 2019

Yes, there does tend to be a temporary odour when the oven is on 'self clean' . This is because the high heat is burning off all the food and grease residue.

At the end of the cycle, depending on how dirty the oven was, there may be a few dry little embers at the bottom of the oven. If you turn on your exhaust fan during the cleaning cycle, you will find that the odour should be diminished.

There is a risk in using cleaning products meant for a non-self-cleaning oven on a more expensive self-clean model. I would encourage you to try it through a full cycle at least one more time, perhaps on a windy cooler day when you can leave the windows open, if the odour continues to bother you.

• Janerose Janerose on Jul 03, 2019

I clean mine manually as well...stinks up the whole house, Old home, no fan...

• Betsy Betsy on Jul 04, 2019

Also, you can get one of those oven floor mats to catch spills, or put a cookie sheet under your items and, don't fill them so full:) That's my problem, over filling :(