DIY Shooting Star Tassels

$5

With 4th of July right around the corner, I wanted to make some more star decorations. I decided that I wasn't going to stick with the traditional red, white and blue and went for all the colors. I love how these tassels turned out and they could be used for 4th of July, Christmas, birthday parties or just everyday home décor! They also remind of something from my childhood... Rainbow Brite! If you grew up in the 80's, you're probably smiling right now, aren't you?

diy shooting star tassels
diy shooting star tassels

Grab some plastic canvas stars, a large needle threaded with yarn. You can also use thread, twine or embroidery floss for this part.

diy shooting star tassels

Pull out your stash of beads and sequins. I used glass beads and plastic beads for this.

diy shooting star tassels

Start adding beads to the star. I added beads to both sides of the star so it's beautiful from any angle when hanging.

diy shooting star tassels

This part does take a while, but it's so much fun. It doesn't take a lot of concentration, so you can do this while watching tv or at the park while your kids play.

diy shooting star tassels

I added beads until the plastic canvas was completely covered.

diy shooting star tassels

Make a tassel. I used bright, fun colors for this part, but you could do a solid color if you prefer. You can see how I make these tassels in this post here.

diy shooting star tassels

I added a piece of yarn to the bottom center of my star and tied the tassel to it.

diy shooting star tassels

I made two tassels - one with all beads on the star and one with yarn sewn on the edges of the star. I love how they both look.

diy shooting star tassels

These are so pretty and colorful, I just love them. I'm definitely going to be making more for my Christmas tree!

diy shooting star tassels

I hung mine on my curtain hooks in the kitchen until my daughter Scout decided to take them and hang them in her room.

diy shooting star tassels
diy shooting star tassels

Holly Lengner - Lost Mom