GNATS - How to get rid of them?

+5

Somehow my house and garden got tiny gnats that killed my fuchsia plant and fly everywhere. I have tried ALL the Web recommendations - soap and oil dishes, sand in the pots, crushed bananas in a covered dish with holes, pest strips, etc, Anyone have a better idea? Both honey and corn syrup on yellow cardboard is not strong enough to catch them... I don't want to use poison spray. THANK YOU.

• Mona Blake Mona Blake on Jul 01, 2019

This was the year for them. They were so bad at my house we missed spring completely. They hate vanilla. Real vanilla, not artificial. But real vanilla fades fast.

• Shirley Proffitt Shirley Proffitt on Jul 01, 2019

I keep a small bottle with little cap and neck in a corner not easily seen on my kitchen counter. Put in a little soda (put bottle in sink as will foam) and pour a couple of inches vinegar on top of soda. DO NOT PUT LID back on bottle. Put on counter where it won't get knocked over and leave. In a day or so, you will start noticing the gnats in the vinegar and not in the air through out the house. Change about every month or so as needed.

• Dee Dee on Jul 01, 2019

If you have gnats in the house, it usually means the presence of one or both of these small flies: FUNGUS GNATS. If the flies are small, black, and flying around windows or potted plants; then they are probably fungus gnats. ... They live in the soil of potted plants.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wcg0C7yuByU

• Nancy Turner Nancy Turner on Jul 01, 2019

In the house, cider vinegar with a few drops of dish soap, cover it with saran wrap and poke a few small holes they can get through and not get out, as an attractant. I know they are ugly, but the fly strips that you hang from the ceiling will really help get the numbers way down. So far, we have avoided them in the house this year, but outside they are miserable. I am allergic to them and get huge welts that last almost two weeks, even treating them.

• Gina Garbo Gina Garbo on Jul 02, 2019

Thanks.Using vInegar and soap did NOT work, even though other sites say it will. Next I am going to try vinegar and OIL.... ;)

• Gina Garbo Gina Garbo on Jul 02, 2019

OK- The vinegar and soap did NOT work... The fly/gnat strips worked a LITTLE, but as they are not yellow in color they worked minimally. I also tried smashed bananas, raw potatoes, and vegetable oil in closed dishes.... Only a few worked at a MINIMAL level. Isn't there ANYTHING to catch these besides poisonous spray? Putting SAND in the pots seemed to also help a bit.

• Gina Garbo Gina Garbo on Jul 02, 2019

I saw this but it did not work... There are MANY ideas, and they only reduce a FEW GNATS, without poisonous stray...