Accent Wall Idea: DIY Confetti Washi Tape Closet

$10

When I started brainstorming décor ideas for the closet in our nursery, I had a design dilemma. I wanted to give it a colorful makeover, but latex paint was out – those fumes rub this pregnant lady the wrong way. And my husband can paint a regular wall with the best of ’em, but I didn’t want to make him paint a mural or stripes or some other elaborate wall treatment. So I decided to try a confetti washi tape wall!

accent wall idea diy confetti washi tape closet

Alright, let’s get down to it. Here’s what you’ll need for your confetti washi tape wall:

If you’re a diehard color fan like me, then you’ll probably want to buy a tape set like the one I bought so you have lots of options. I’m obsessed with it… there’s a variety of delicious colors and it’s making me want to find other washi projects just so I have an excuse to use more of it. Anyway. Here’s how you do your washi tape wall:

Begin by wiping the wall clean with a damp rag to remove any dust or oil that might prevent the tape from sticking to the wall. If there are any scuffs on the wall, I found that a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser worked really well for this (I mean… Magic Erasers work well for practically everything).

Next, cut a handful of strips of tape in each color that you’re planning to use. My strips were all about three inches long, give or take. I didn’t measure each one, I just eyeballed it.

There’s no science to this, I just started taping the strips about 4-6 inches from each other in random directions. I did find that 5 colors worked well because it was rare that the same color had to end up next to itself. So I would recommend using at least 5 colors. Continue working outward until you’ve covered your entire wall!

So cute, right?! It’s such a great way to transform a boring old white wall into something whimsical and fun without spending a ton or time or money.

To see the whole closet (complete with adorable tiny newborn clothing) head over to my blog: https://design-fixation.com/2019/06/washi-tape-wall.html (or click "go" below for a clickable link).

Faith Provencher | Design Fixation

• Kathy Wilderman
    Yesterday

I thought maybe you could the different colored tape to make strips, squares triangles . I do agree to be safe around small children.

• Beverly
    12 hours ago

I did this in our kitchen over ten years ago! Haven’t got tired of it Yet!!! Used a metallic tape between the boxes after I was done painting. Only did it on one wall in the kitchen.

• Tammie
      30 minutes ago

You are ahead of your time! That looks really cool!!