DIY A Faux Metal Threshold

$15

Sometimes the stuff you find in stores just isn't right, or far too expensive. Why not DIY it?

I worked very very very hard on stencil painting this bathroom floor. It was quite the amount of work! You can read all about it here over on my blog Flipping the Flip.

A lot of work!

Here's the before. Ah, this gap. What to do? What to do?!

I had removed the cheapy ugly metal threshold while I was painting and last thing I wanted to do was put back something that was awful or huge or a tripping hazard, and I didn't want to spend oodles on a fancy one. Who needs $100 threshold?!

Wanting something simple, I opted to make my own.

Here I cleaned out the gap between the existing tile floor and the wood floor using my rotary tool.

I purchased a square wood dowel and some antique gold Rub n' Buff, going for a faux brassy/gold simple dividing line type of transition.

It took a lot of shaping, sanding, and trimming but eventually I got it to fit just right.

Not the best photo here, what can I say, but I buffed the Rub n' Buff stuff on three sides.

For more details about this project and so many other tip-filled posts, swing by my blog Flipping the Flip!

Using some black caulk as my adhesive, I squirted a nice fat line in the gap and smushed the dowel into it.

After a some squeeze out clean up, here we are! All finished! Sure, I need to be a bit more aware when I'm cleaning this spot but it's not a big deal.

I'm quite pleased with it!

Don't forget to come by my blog, there you'll see what my husband's reaction was to this little project.

Click the link below next to my logo!

Becky at Flipping the Flip