Craft Room Makeover – Extreme Upcycling – Cardboard Wall

$30
2 Weeks

We have lived in our house for 20 some years and I am finally giving my craft room the attention it deserves. I have been working on several upcycling projects to convert my craft room from a junkie storage space into a room that I love. My first project is this craft supply organizer wall made out of cardboard.

I have been saving all the big cardboard boxes we got from various purchases to cover up this open wall.

My idea was pretty simple but it did take awhile to put together. I started with a rough sketch of the design and then started cutting up my cardboard boxes to fit the wall.

I used some thumbtacks to hold the pieces in place until I had the whole wall covered. Then I took the pieces down and started the tedious process of covering them with paper mache and Mod Podge.

Once all the pieces were covered I attached them to the wall with some roofing nails.

Here is what the wall looked like once that step was done.

To finish the wall I went back over the seams and the nail heads with more paper mache and Mod Podge.

The last step was to add my tin cans and stash some of my craft supplies.

Stay tuned for my next project were I will be using some more cardboard to finish this wall with door trim baseboard and switch plates.

You can find all the details in the attached video.

For a complete list of materials and supplies please visit http://www.upcycledesignlab.com/craft-room-makeover-extreme-upcycling-cardboard-wall/

Thanks for taking a look at my project. If you would like more upcycling project DIY's or Green Product Reviews please subscribe to the  Upcycle Design Lab blog here. 

Happy Upcycling,

Cindy

31 Astounding Things You Didn't Know You Could Do With Contact Paper
30 Great Mason Jar Ideas You Have To Try
30 Stunning Ways To Display Your Plants
31 Ways For You To Style Your Garden
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
Hide Your Couch's Wear and Tear With These Great Ideas
30 Jewelry Organizing Ideas That Are Better Than a Jewelry Box
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
Step-by-Step Painting Techniques You'll Want to Try!
Hometalk's Top 20 DIY Crafts For Kids
18 String Art Ideas That You'll Want To Hang In Your Home
20 Ways To Make Your Own Personalized Clock
10 Popular Cabinet Makeovers That Will Transform Your Kitchen
Instantly Upgrade Your Living Space With These Amazing DIY Ideas
Cindy @ Upcycle Design Lab

• Dyan Rhees Railsback

What are the used coffee grounds for and aren't you afraid of silver fish with all of that cardboard?

• Flipturn

Agree. This wall would never pass inspection, especially since there is electrical wiring, and uninsulated outlets inside it.

• Kathy

I love this idea and may do something similar but I am concerned about insects. Wonder if you put paper mache on both sides and sprayed with paint of some kind. Maybe that would seal out any insects. Any thoughts?

• Flipturn

The valid concern with insects comes from the fact that many types of cardboard contain finishes and glues that some insects are attracted to.

The other concern is that the cardboard will absorb any air humidity which may result in odour and mildew problems.

• Lynn Hixson

Fire hazard?