How to Make a ToadStool Fairy House House

$40

One of my overriding memories when I as a child was of a toadstool fairy house, which is what inspired this craft. Plus I think every garden needs a little magic! Maxi said I should have made these when they were younger as they are amazing and are perfect to hide in the garden.

Who doesn't love a fairy house?

Materials:

• 21cm Terracotta pot
  • 17cm Terracotta Saucer
  • 31cm Terracotta Saucer
  • White and red tempura or poster paint
  • Black Sharpie
  • Acrylic Paints
  • Glue
  • Waterproof sealer

Originally I was going to use a smaller pot, however, the larger the pot the easier it is to decorate and embellish. So if you are doing this with children I would suggest you use a 21cm pot. You will need a couple of coats of paint as it does soak into the terracotta. We used poster paint, but tester pots of emulsion or even ready mixed tempura would work as the base for the white and red.

Paint your pot white and your two saucers red. Then glue your saucers together. The smaller one on top of the large one. We used a hot glue gun for this, but you could also use a really strong glue.

Then you need to paint your spots onto the toadstool. We used a white pencil to mark our circles on. we looked around the house to find things to draw around such as coins and cups. The spots needed two coats of acrylic paint.

We marked out the windows and door with pencil before painting them in with acrylic paint. We used brown for the door and silver for the windows. Then the boys told me that the bottom of the house needed flowers which we added with acrylic paint.

Once the paint had dried we added details such as leading on the windows and hinges on the door using a black sharpie. Then we glued the saucers onto the pot.

As we want to use our toadstool house in the garden it needs to be sealed. We are going to use an acrylic clear spray sealant (once it stops raining). From experience, I know it is going to need three thin coats.

We have also made a Christmas Tree from Plant pots

• 21cm Terracotta pot  (Garden Center)
  • 17cm Terracotta Saucer  (Garden Center)
  • 31cm Terracotta Saucer  (Garden Center)

22 Homemade Soaps You Can Give As Gifts All Year Round
21 Small Things You Can Do to Beautify Your Home This Weekend
3 Great Ideas To Easily Upgrade Your Window
30 Useful Ways To Reuse Plastic Bottles
3 Easy Ways To Upgrade Your Pillows To A High End Look
31 Gorgeous Homemade Candle Ideas You're Going to Want to Try
23 Valentine's Day DIY Ideas That You Don't Want To Miss
3 Weird Step-by-Step Ways to Decorate Your Plain Tea Towels
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
3 Easy Ways to Make The Cutest Coasters for Your House
31 Space-Saving Storage Ideas That'll Keep Your Home Organized
15 Cute Ways To Decorate Tin Cans Into Planters
Jen Walshaw

• Kim 'Kiewatt' Waknitz

Is there a way to cut the cost? $40 seems very high to me.

• Val

Yes I've seen the BIG POTS at a Real 99cent only store, that should cut cost ...

• Beverly A. Hampt

Would the plastic terracotta colored pots work?

• Bek

A spray plastic primer can be found starting at about $4.00. Even with the additional step, it would save a considerable amount of money, should you choose to go that direction.