How to Make a ToadStool Fairy House House

$40

One of my overriding memories when I as a child was of a toadstool fairy house, which is what inspired this craft. Plus I think every garden needs a little magic! Maxi said I should have made these when they were younger as they are amazing and are perfect to hide in the garden.

Who doesn't love a fairy house?

Materials:

• 21cm Terracotta pot
  • 17cm Terracotta Saucer
  • 31cm Terracotta Saucer
  • White and red tempura or poster paint
  • Black Sharpie
  • Acrylic Paints
  • Glue
  • Waterproof sealer

Originally I was going to use a smaller pot, however, the larger the pot the easier it is to decorate and embellish. So if you are doing this with children I would suggest you use a 21cm pot. You will need a couple of coats of paint as it does soak into the terracotta. We used poster paint, but tester pots of emulsion or even ready mixed tempura would work as the base for the white and red.

Paint your pot white and your two saucers red. Then glue your saucers together. The smaller one on top of the large one. We used a hot glue gun for this, but you could also use a really strong glue.

Then you need to paint your spots onto the toadstool. We used a white pencil to mark our circles on. we looked around the house to find things to draw around such as coins and cups. The spots needed two coats of acrylic paint.

We marked out the windows and door with pencil before painting them in with acrylic paint. We used brown for the door and silver for the windows. Then the boys told me that the bottom of the house needed flowers which we added with acrylic paint.

Once the paint had dried we added details such as leading on the windows and hinges on the door using a black sharpie. Then we glued the saucers onto the pot.

As we want to use our toadstool house in the garden it needs to be sealed. We are going to use an acrylic clear spray sealant (once it stops raining). From experience, I know it is going to need three thin coats.

We have also made a Christmas Tree from Plant pots

• 21cm Terracotta pot  (Garden Center)
  • 17cm Terracotta Saucer  (Garden Center)
  • 31cm Terracotta Saucer  (Garden Center)

Jen Walshaw

• Sandra Allen

I will make a smaller version but yes, you have inspired me and your photos are great!

• Cdemby Tony

Just too cute! Great idea for all children's gardens