Turn a Boring IKEA Mat Into a One-of-a-Kind Welcome Mat

$10

Grab a cheap IKEA door mat and transform it into a one-of-a-kind Welcome Mat using stamps and ink. Your guests will love dropping by!

When I was at IKEA not long ago I saw this Jute SINDAL door mat and feel in love with the colour and texture. It was super cheap ($7 Canadian) so I snatched it up and took it home.

Check out another IKEA hack here!

Despite its simple beauty though, it needed a little something to make it more unique.

Wanting my new mat to have an almost plaid like feel around the edges, I grabbed some Iron Orchid Design stamps and black Ink and stamped the edges of the mat using the Grainery stamps.

With the texture of the mat being quite rough, I knew I wouldn't get a true, dark stamp. The stamps did leave enough of an outline though that I was able to then fill them in with a paintbrush and the black ink.

Once the plaid like lines were completed, it was time to fill in the centre. You could fill in the centre with anything at all but I chose a branch and a couple of birds. I did the stamping the same way for the birds as I did with the stripes. The stamps again left enough of a mark that I was then able to fill in the design with a paint brush and ink.

I love that a $7 rug is now a completely one-of-a-kind welcome mat that makes me smile every time I see it. What would you do on your mat if you had a blank slate?

Check out the original RECREATED DESIGNS post here and find loads of other vintage and ucpcyling projects over on the blog.

30 Address Signs That'll Make Your Neighbors Stop in Admiration
30 Unbelievable Backyard Update Ideas
3 Gorgeous & Easy Projects to Help You Decorate for Fall
Super Cool Painting Techniques You've Probably Never Seen!
Check Out These Wonderful Ways To Decorate Your Plain Mugs
20 Easy Projects To Help You Get Ready For Easter
15 Awesome Projects To Get You Ready For St. Patrick's Day
15 Memorial Day Crafts
15 Memorial Day Crafts
15 Unique Father's Day Crafts
15 Ways To Upcycle And Create More Storage At The Same Time
Recreated Designs